Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to me this time of year always seems to lots of bands touring. The festivals have finished and they are doing their own thing. Having been away from the scene for a long time i've just got back into it and enjoying a new found freedom following a divorce making the most of it. In the past week i have seen;

King Parrot
Prong
Exodus
Obituary
Testament
Amon Amarth
Girlschool
Fastway
Saxon

Highlight for me was seeing Obituary having not seen them play live in 24(!!!) years...

Sound set up.... i made sure i was against the railings for Obituary...

It was worth it...

And at the end caught Terry Butlers spare pick....

:coolsm::coolsm::coolsm::coolsm::coolsm:

A big surprise was Amon Amarth. I went to see Testament as they are old skool like me and i havent seen them play before. Bit of a disappointment if i'm honest. Amon Amarth were great on the other hand....

Moving on i went to see Saxon a few nights later. Fastway were supporting who i've wanted to see for years. They played well and i enjoyed it, though the line up has changed somewhat over the years...

Headlining the mighty Saxon :coolsm::coolsm::coolsm::coolsm:

These are proper old skool. Before my time but i grew up listing to them in the local bikers cafe and i love the old skool sound. They played a great set too....

.... and thus that how the last week has gone! Total madness, Manchester three times in one week lol :coolsm::coolsm:

So what have YOU got lined up? Who have you been to see this year?

Next one for me is Alter Bridge in Leeds December 1st - looking forward to that. Then Korn and Limp Bizkit later in December and Avenged Sevenfold and The Disturbed in January :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Good for you.
Never seen a live band , and I love music.
I'm 44 and it's on my bucket list :smthumbup

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good for you.
Never seen a live band , and I love music.
I'm 44 and it's on my bucket list :smthumbup
You know its not always about seeing the big bands. Watching ANY band playing live is something to behold. We have a local band and all they play is covers but its great to see them strumming away regardless :coolsm:

I'm 44 also .... well until February anyway :smthumbup

Went to Nottingham last night to see Y&T , excellent as usual .
Just watched a few of their videos on Youtube, proper old skool, good call :coolsm::coolsm:

·
Premium Member
20,559 Posts
Obituary still bloody going ?:eek::lol:
Ive drifted from loads of things over the years tbh ...miss the old metal ....
Nice write up :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I went as a last minute substitute with a friend to see Rob Zombie at the Forum, Kentish Town a few weeks ago....

Normally not my thing at all, but strangely quite enjoyed it...

I know what you're saying about just seeing someone live, as they were much better that way than when I was watching them on YouTube and wondering what I'd let myself in for!

·
Zero Fighter
12,869 Posts
That's old school heavy metal Rich, used to listed to obituary and exodus many many moons ago . Bought slayers last album and been enjoying it for week now,really good stuff going back to roots

·
Premium Member
8,786 Posts
Just a shame it's not "Classic Rock" :naughty:

Maybe it's a My Generation issue :blush:

;)
You need to go and see this lot, been to several of their gigs, top musicians and a really good stage show. James Cole, the British Touring Car driver, is in their line up on guitar.

Link: www.theclassicrockshow.com

Another couple of useless Rock facts, I went to school with Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden and my wife looked after Bernie Marsden's of Whitesnake fame business account.

·
Zero Fighter
12,869 Posts
You need to go and see this lot, been to several of their gigs, top musicians and a really good stage show. James Cole, the British Touring Car driver, is in their line up on guitar.

Link: www.theclassicrockshow.com

Another couple of useless Rock facts, I went to school with Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden and my wife looked after Bernie Marsden's of Whitesnake fame business account.
Iron Maiden was one of all time favourites, went to see them few years back at 02 in London, going again May next year

·
Registered
119 Posts
You know its not always about seeing the big bands. Watching ANY band playing live is something to behold. We have a local band and all they play is covers but its great to see them strumming away regardless :coolsm:
:smthumbup Been to "a few" gigs over the last 15+ years, from big festivals to grotty pubs and my preference will always be smaller bands in local venues.

Depending on what genre is your preference, there are a lot of decent bands right here in the UK!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Ritchie Blackmore at the Genting Arena in June. Surreal. Felt like the Worlds best Deep Purple/Rainbow cover band??

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Got right back into it myself over the last 3 years. Specifically Mod , ska and punk. Also have a great set of mod and skinhead mates.
Go to gigs every few weeks inch my local town pubs which has had a resurgence.
Also go to weekend gigs camping in the summer, great fun. My lass is into rock so go to some of that as well.
Madness next on the list

·
Registered
571 Posts
Saxon sunday night at wolves great gig ,good to see fast eddie clarke ,missed the start of girlschool (gutted),Korn and limpbizkit next month,reef at wrexham. Deftones and maiden next may.Will go to download next year aswell

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So was out again last night - Leeds this time so very close to home.

Four bands playing, we missed the first as we were in the pub but it was planned so no loss. Got to the gig to catch "Gojira" who are a French band. One of our group really likes them and i have to admit they were good to watch, i'd downloaded the latest of their albums so knew a few of the songs they played.

Here they are ....

Video of one of the songs can be found here, more on the heavier side of things....

who were the best band of the night for my money. Really really good and get the crowd going well. I'll be seeing these guys again without a doubt! Ive got a few of their albums and their latest one "Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie" is pure brilliance....

Near the end of their set they got some of the crowd up on stage....

Thanks Volbeat :smthumbup

Heres a song from their latest album....

But i digress. Whilst talking i couldnt help but notice the amount of people walking out the place. Quite a few with Alter Bridge tour shirts on too. Seems quite a few were left cold with their performance. Shame but Gojira and Volbeat more than made up for the uninteresting headliners. Couple of photos...

So that summed up the evening really. Stayed in the Travelodge Leeds Central .... smack in the middle of the "alternative" scene. By that i mean Gay and Lesbian, and lots and lots of cross dressers too - a real eye opener but hell good on them for being who they are, we are so lucky to live in a country where people are free to be who they want, bar a few small minded people who take offence at anyone who is different. But hey-ho. Next gig is Korn in a couple of weeks :smthumbup

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Nothing like a live band. Punk is my thing off to see the damned in a couple of weeks followed by the stranglers in March,great stuff.
I saw the stranglers at Larmer Tree, in deepest Wiltshire this year, bloody brilliant

1 - 20 of 22 Posts