Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,my car has been set to run 1.3/1.4 bar,by power engineering,way before i bought it.330 bhp 321 torque graphs

I took the car off the road for 6 months from july to jan.......in that time i fitted a cold air feed to the filter.

Got in my car the other day for the 1st time in ages,and the s.p.a digital gauges are showing a peak boost of 1.87 bar!!!!!!!! :eek: after a few drives.

The peak used to be 1.5 or 25 psi (ish) i think,up to july.

The car feels a bit quicker,probably because of the cold weather...but 1.87 bar!!

Is this safe,cos im doing a trackday next month and dont want to blow the thing up!

Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm no expert but i think most people on here will say thats too high a boost on standard internals

mine goes higher at this time of the year i think its the colder weather - cold air in tend to add to the power - so i have a few settings on my boost contoller and turn it down to max 1.60 then put it back in the summer keeping it steady again no more than 1.60.

can you turn the boost down till you can have it checked out as it could also be your actuator sticking and causing over boost which will need fixing (probably stuck)

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just been out tonight in the car,set the peak on the gauges back to zero....gave it a bit of stick and 1.81 bar peak boost!!

I wd40'd the actuator before hand,to see if it made any difference.

Would it be ok to do a trackday on this,the car feels fine,no fuel cuts,just rather rapid.

:confused: :confused:

·
TOO many posts.......
17,132 Posts
Mine peaks @1.69, 24psi, i`d say yours it a little too high, although some people have run 1.8, but for how long i don`t know, if you`re going on a trackday, or anything come to think of it, i`d turn it down to 1.6ish... :D

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ive done nowt to the boost, (wouldnt know how to) :D

All i did over the winter was fit a big cold air feed pipe to the air filter,change the oil and antifreeze.

How do you tell if the actuator is goosed??

And how do you know what boost its holding??

Sorry for being so thick,but nowt like this has happened before :(

·
Premium Member
22,135 Posts
if the car is mapped for 1.4 bar boost, then it is unlikely to be mapped for fuel and ignition at higher boost. What boost is it holding? If then held boost is higher also, i would avoid WOT till it is sorted

while the car is running higher than 1.4 bar boost then it is likely it is running outside the mapped peramiters

Stu

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yep definately get that sorted as I wouldn't feel comfortable doing a trackday at 1.8 bar!

It's amazing how much extra boost the cold weather gives though. Mine was peaking at 1.76 bar recently against the normal 1.55! Always know when it's time to turn that boost controller down ;)

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
phoned danny at rc today,booked in for froge actuator.

What is a sensible setting then... 1.6 bar max. :confused:

Excuse me for being thick but how do you set the boost,without a boost controller....is it the actuator??? im sure rc developments will sort it. :) and know what spring to use etc.

·
Premium Member
22,135 Posts
Boost is controlled with a combination of the actuator and the boost solenoid. The boost solenoid is controlled by the ecu, or boost controller.

Without a boost controller, you cant alter the boost level properly, but RC should be able to find out why your boost has increased. Therse could be a leak in the boost control, or a knackered actuator, but i would have thought that if it is 1 of these, RC fixing it will bring the boost back to levels it used to run.

Unless RC can alter PE maps (which i assume they cant) then to alter boost they would need to fit a boost controller, and then check the fueling and ignition for the new boost

So, if your ecu is set for 1.4 bar, a sensible held boost is a maximum of 1.4 bar

Stu

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.