Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought an EVO 8 and it came fitted with a HKS twin plate clutch.

This thing makes a rattling noise whenever the clutch peddle is pressed in. It also sounds like the gears are crunching when ever it is engaged.

I've heard that some twin plate clutches are supposed to sound like this, but to me it just sounds like the car is knackered :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Maybe crunching is a bad way to describe the noise. Its not quite that extreme Basically it makes a noise whenever I press the clutch. It is just louder when I i'm moving instead of idling.

Do you guys like this noise???? I almost feel embarrassed driving around town because the noise is more noticeable when it isn't drowned out by the exhaust.

What kind of prices could I be looking at to change to a silent clutch?

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
Depending on who changes it and what clutch you fit, anything from £600 to £1000. You will also need a new flywheel as the one used on a twin plate is not compatible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah I never realised about the flywheel too. I might look at changing the exhaust 1st. The one fitted is the silent type, so maybe with a slightly louder exhaust, the clutch rattle might not be so obvious...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I forgot to ask. How to you guys set off fast with a twin plate? I can't seem to get the balance right with this thing.

I can blast through 2-6 gears but with 1st gear I either stall or sit there with the engine revving and not going anywhere lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello

I had an Exedy twin plate fitted to my Evo recently, it handles the power/torque fine but it groans and rattles and i hate it.

To be honest, it has put me off driving the Evo its so noisy its sounds like the car is knackered, which it isn't.

I agree on the embarassement factor when i set off in 1st it groans to the point of people looking at me with a an 'ouch' expression on their faces.

I'm wondering, like you, if there is a clutch that is quiet but can handle the power etc

:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
11,684 Posts
I have had a few twin plates now and i keep reading about these noise problems which are normal but i have never suffered from them. Luck of the draw i guess.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
you should try a carbonetic twin plate + piper cams and a stroker chum - thet all make each other rattle more...sounds like a diesel till it moves .:mhihi:
dunno about a noise when in motion tho... mines fine .
as for launching it - 4000 revs and side swipe the clutch pedal - :smthumbup
just be safe in the knowledge that you'll never need to replace your clutch again and learn to ignore the noise;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello

I had an Exedy twin plate fitted to my Evo recently, it handles the power/torque fine but it groans and rattles and i hate it.

To be honest, it has put me off driving the Evo its so noisy its sounds like the car is knackered, which it isn't.

I agree on the embarassement factor when i set off in 1st it groans to the point of people looking at me with a an 'ouch' expression on their faces.

I'm wondering, like you, if there is a clutch that is quiet but can handle the power etc

:smthumbup
If you do find one let me know. I'm desperate to get rid of this current clutch :wallbang:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts