Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again!

Just received a short shifter that I ordered (Thanks B16LSP)

Removed the old stick, to find that it is shorter that the shortshifter?

I have never seen a standard shifter so I have no idea if this already a short shifter?

Shiney one is the new one, duller one is the one that was already in?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The longer it is below the ball and to the left of the ball (since it go's to passo side) the shorter the throw. I got one that you could adjust up and down the center ball, 2 positions, when fitted it it wouldn't go in lower setting since cable fouled on the plastic housing so put it in the higher setting. Ripped it up again yesterday and cut the housing to clear the cable to drop the lever to lower position and now my throw is about 2" 1st to 2nd :D

And the dull one is the standard one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ha,

The shiney one is adjustable, I just put the ball thing at the same place as the one I took off, so I should put it on the higher one thus decreasing the throw.... all makes sense now ;)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Yea, a grub screw in the side of the ball? Put it so the right cable that attaches to the bottom of the lever is pushed further towards the ground, you'll probably need to hack bits of the gear lever housing to make it work though, but makes some difference. Literally only yesterday afternoon I did this, been driving it for months the higher way, not much different to standard like that though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, I raised the ball thing up but when I sit it in the plastic holder that connects to the piston type bit on the floor it sits out of the holder?

The only way I can see around this would be to drill a hole in the white plastic bit at the very bottom so the bottom of the shifter goes right through it, but I think this will make it sloppy wont it?

Has anyone got any instructions or pictures of one of these being fitted? - Also this kit came with some large blue, what i can only assume are washers... but I dont know where they are supposed to go?

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Ok, I raised the ball thing up but when I sit it in the plastic holder that connects to the piston type bit on the floor it sits out of the holder?

The only way I can see around this would be to drill a hole in the white plastic bit at the very bottom so the bottom of the shifter goes right through it, but I think this will make it sloppy wont it?

Has anyone got any instructions or pictures of one of these being fitted? - Also this kit came with some large blue, what i can only assume are washers... but I dont know where they are supposed to go?
I know when I fitted my short shifter kit to fit the shorter throw you had to put 4 spacers (one under each corner) of the gear shifter surround.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhhh, thats what the Blue things are!! - Its all coming together slowly but surley

This is the kit, they are the blue things

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
They go under the plastic housing where the 4 bolts bolt the housing to the floor, raising the whole assembly up a bit to probably overcome the bottoming out issue your having. Take the black rubber bits out completely, but you'll probably need bigger washers for the 4 bolts when putting the blue bits under the plastic housing.

Just saw pic and you have the washers and all :smthumbup looks the very same kit I got, the weight hides under gear gaitor nicely :smthumbup

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Graham182, your a top man! And thank you everyone else for helping me through another car DIY disaster ;)

Its on at last - You know when you start one of those jobs and think to yourself, if I put all this back together and it works it will be nothing short of a miracle ;)

Did you find it made the gear change feel heavier? - Its definatly shorter but requires more effort

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You get used to that, found the same, good ol law of the lever :p get the solid shifter bushes from neverneverman that go on the other end of the cable on the gearbox and you'll have a nice solid gearchange then :smthumbup

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bah wouldnt you know it, all that work and the thread on top is a different size so my lovely Carbon fibre knob doesnt fit any more!! ;)

Cheers again, I will have a look at one of those other kits...

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Bah wouldnt you know it, all that work and the thread on top is a different size so my lovely Carbon fibre knob doesnt fit any more!! ;)

Cheers again, I will have a look at one of those other kits...
The thread on these 'short' shifters is the same as stock. M10x1.5 iirc!

Paul

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It doesnt seem to be, the thread on the stock one is thin at the top but widens out toward the base of the thread. This one is thin all the way down

The thin part is definatly the same, but its the thicker bit towards the bottom that my know bit on to

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
yes the thread on mine was different as well

I packed the ball joints with grease when i fitted mine the gearchange is great very positive and yes possibly a little heavier than stock

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
It doesnt seem to be, the thread on the stock one is thin at the top but widens out toward the base of the thread. This one is thin all the way down

The thin part is definatly the same, but its the thicker bit towards the bottom that my know bit on to
Ok mate.

If yours is an eBay special, the thread should be the same. What you might need to do is move the gaitor height piece (the trapezoid shaped lump with the flat side and grub screw) down the shifter rod. You'll then be able to get the gear knob to bite onto the threaded part.

Paul

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Define easy,

From and honest point of view (This is the first time I have tried this)

Unscrew your gear knob (Really!! ;)
Remove the centre console plasti trim (Start with the hand brake housing, two screws inside the elbow box)
Then the plastic trim around the gear lever (two screws near the hand brake, and two either side of the foot well)

Next you have to dismantle the gear lever. Basically all I did was undo the two nut/bolts that are obvious from the top, there are springs and washers and all sorts of stuff there. If your memory is as bad as mine then photograph it so it all goes back the same.

Once thats out remove the plastic top trim (will all make sense when you try it), and then remove the bottom of the gear lever from the plasti thing..... this is by far the hardest part of the entire thing....

I found the best way to do this was with a pair of needle nose pliers, you need to seperate the two metal bars left to right. I found a pair or pliers and just open them between the two exposed ends was easier then trying to pry it free with a couple of screw drivers.

After that its dead easy.... four corner bolts out, insert funny blue things (spacers) under the plastic trim - lube up your handle (really if someone doesnt find that kinky thier dead inside) for the two plastic mounts and lube up around the big ball (reallly this is just a smut fest)

Then just reassemble as it was before you broke it.

The bit that got me was the spring (again it will make sense when you see it) this makes a natural shape like an X, what you need to do is seperate the two ends of the spring so they go either side of the metal arm/thing in the middle and clamp tightly on the 3rd arm thing.

I know that sounds awful but its really much easier then it sounds, please PM me if you want and I will nip the console out again and get you some piccis

1 - 20 of 23 Posts