Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Stage 1 conversion on my Tommi but I feel to achieve the performance we all desire I need to fit a Jet Engine with 50,000lbs thrust.Could you please advise me what engine I should choose .Also should I remove the plastic grommet and turn my dump valve upside down once the jet propulsion is in place.Most importantly would this conversion effect my warranty and should I notify my insurance company.Has any one done this conversion and if so did you achieve Mach1 ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Be carefull if you are going for mach 1 , you need to check your tyres to see if the speed rating is sutable for your intended speed. http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

P.S make sure you only use sul with them upgrades.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice on the fueling but as far as tyres are concerned should I go for so2 or so3?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL!!!

Remember the guy in America who bolted a set of JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off) units to his 1974 Plymouth?

He was found 2 miles away from where he set the unit's off embedded 100ft up a cliff http://194.93.140.171/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.

I think he won the Darwin (killed or severely injured in the most amusing way) award in 1998 for that one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Incase you didn't know that story was proven to be ******** RS Pilot, sorry to spoil your illiusion. For an encore I steal sweets from babies http://194.93.140.171/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Fitting a jet engine to an Evo is a good idea as at least they only have to be serviced every 20,000 hours and not 4500 bloody miles!

By the way Jerry fiddles with Jets so perhaps he can nick one from work to play with at home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A guy I used to work with made his own minature jet engines using old turbos. He even made his own compressor one time using balsa wood and carbon fibre!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jezza Clarkson in his speed programme tried out a jet power push bike. Apparently would do about 50mph top wack all from an engine about the size of a can of beans! When he was looking at the innards of this jet it certainly looked like a turbo spool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The basic principles of jet engines are much the same as a standard turbo. Compressor fan compresses the air at the front of the engine which is then mixed with fuel as it flows through. The mixture is ignited and is forced out the back of the engine. On the way out it passes through a Turbine which is connected by a shaft to the Compressor fan at the front which compresses the incoming air and so on....
The above is commonly known as a Jet Turbine or Turbo Jet.

Where superduper power and speed is required then you get into Ramjets which do away with the Compressor and Turbine altogether. It is just basically a tube with fuel burnt in the middle, the compression of the air intake is done naturally by the speed of engine going along.

The Lockheed Blackbird is the prime example of Ramjets (in combination with Turbojets). Once a certain airspeed is reached then the Ramjets take over making the Blackbird the fastest airplane ever, reaching speeds in access of Mach 3.

....and you thought I just knew about Evo's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anarchist,
Can't help u with a jet engine , except 2 say make sure u get some decent 3rd party indemnity insurance because u will almost certainly injest a number of children and infirm people when in town , and paint damage 2 vehicles behind u is going 2 be problem http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Can offer u a flat 6 , 8 ltr Lycoming aero engine tho , complete with conversion kit for an Evo.
Bit heavy on fuel tho !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do they do a roof rack for the Evo because with a bit of help from Heave Ho Six I could strap the Blackbird to it and we are their!I never considered injesting small children ,I suppose thats like a bird strike but with more collateral damage,back to the drawing board.How about anti gravity .........................

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its only a matter of time before someone asks what mpg you would get if you managed this conversion

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pluto

If you want an efficient jet engine you'll need to go along the turbo fan route which is a bypass type jet engine (typical commercial aircraft engine).

Anarchist,

My personal recommendation would be the turbo shaft engine (helicoptor application) which is basically a turbo fan with a drive shaft so you can connect through the gearbox - I'm sure the standard mitsi unit will take any power a turbo shaft engine can produce. I think the RAF have a few Wessex lying around which would give a suitable engine or two.

ps Ramjets are only of any use above the speed of sound so are not much use if you just want to reach Mach 1.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah thats true how about a nice intercooler.............****!........SORRY AFTERCOOLER!!......NO DON'T DO IT EVOBOY.........BANG! (sound of Evoboy blowing my brains out with a 12 bore)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi U lot I have just joined the forum and with regards to ths interesting question all I can say is that I once seen a tractor with a helecopter engin fitted to it and it went like sxxt.
The gear box was standard but the only problem was it tore large groves in the cricket pitch!!!!!!.
Do yourself a favour and take the grommet out I found the thing last week and my new tommi is now a different car.
Thanks to all on this forum for the advice that I have been getting and Dragon are a top company.
Diabach.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
errr....do yourself a favour and don't take the grommit out unless at the very minimum you have a boost gauge fitted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pluto you work for a bank your not white your colourless,and no doubt with a personality to match,keep up the good work and stop hating yourself!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts