Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a tracking problem I need to replace the front tyre on my 5. I was hoping to change just the fronts as the rears still have plenty of life in them, however speaking to my local tyre guy he said that having two slightly different tread thicknesses on fron and rear on an AWD car will **** the Diff.

Is he just trying to sell 2 more tyres or should i liten and break the bank to get all 4?

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,880 Posts
It's fine to just replace the fronts or rears. The fronts will always wear more than the rears anyway so you can't avoid a difference in tread.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
As Aidy said.
I remember a friend of mine being told this when he had a cavalier turbo,they said if would balls up the transfer box, given that they used to break all the time anyway it was probably total shite.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
How about the fact that as the tyres are slightly different rolling diameters the rears will go round more times than the front. Placing extra load on your centre diff?

·
Registered
409 Posts
it is true you are recommended to change all four if there is more than 2- 3 mm difference between front and rear as it does put strain on the diffs on all four wheel drive cars

jase

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Yeah, I guess this also works side to side as well as front to rear.

Also if rears are less the 2mm worn, should be ok.
Measure 'em up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts