Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, that seems like a weird thing to ask but I've got this concern. My VI TME has now got 1400 miles on the clock. For the first thouand I kept the revs low and when I went for the first service I didn't have a problem.

Over the last 300-400 miles I have been opening up the car a lot more but have noticed that I have been losing a small amount of coolant from the top of the bottle - it seems to be escaping from where the cap fits onto the expansion tank. The cap itself looks fine, and so do the pipes that are connected to it so I can only think it's a bad seal - or maybe it's supposed to be like that???

What I find suprising is that the cap just 'pops' on and amp; off the top of the expansion tank with minimal effort required. I was under the impression that these things were under pressure and would need a substantial fixing to hold them in place. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I have now taken to checking the engine at least twice a day and virtually everytime I look (after the car has been driven) I see a small amount of escaped coolant laying on top of it's tank.

Incidently when the engine is totally cold the level of the coolant in the bottle is about midway between the MAX and amp; MIN lines.

Anyone got any thoughts on this please?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mine does the same, I think it's normal. There is a tube to let overflow out anyway, so I'm not worried at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, mine does the same too.
Don't worry about the 'fit' of the cap - there are no high pressures involved in the bottle. That's why you have a high pressure radiator cap. The overflow pipe Claudius mentioned runs down the side of the O/side front wing - if there is an overflow it will drop right on the floor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PHEW! You guys have REALLY put my mind to rest over this - thank you. I've just come back from a blast in the countryside and as soon as I got home lifted the bonnet and this time there was hardly any leakage at all anyway :)

I can't remember what car it was now but I once had a car where there was a huge warning sticker on the side of the expansion tank thay reckoned the pressure inside was 200 psi when hot! It had this massive heavy duty screw cap on and I remember one time trying to undo it because the bottle needed topping up. It was on so tight that I simply couldn't undo it! I guess different cars use different systems.

Thanks again, I can relax again now :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This has happened to my TME as well !
Drove pretty quickly up a mountain and after parking the car, there was a huge amount of green coolant leaking from the front.
Gave me a huge shock, i checked but everything was fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Mak doesn't do it all. Even during two days track driving with around 30 deg. outside temperature.

Maybe you've all got expansion tanks produced on monday;)

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a ralliart radiator cap 1.3bar. The loss of coolant in the expansion tank is minimal. I think there only £20.00.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to upgrade the water hoses to samco items, to fit them would I have to drain the system and re-fill ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the ralliart 1.3bar radiator cap as well.
Maybe that causes the coolant overflow under certain circumstances ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Evo uses a cunning system where the pressure cap is on the top of the radiator, with a hose going off to the expansion bottle after the pressure cap. Hence the expansion bottle is not pressurised. Dunno why they do this but i spose it means the expansion bottle does not have to be so strong.

Ralliart told me that when used hard you will loose a bit of coolant, which surprised me as the radiator is monster. I've not noticed my level going down much but then I drive like a woos most of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts