Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you connect (pref without wires) a ipod mini to play through your car ICE ?

I need to buy a headunit for my new car - any recomendations with ipod rather than CD in mind (although both would be good)? always had a pref for Alpine (I fine them easy to use)

TIA

·
Registered
252 Posts
I tried the itrip but didnt like it. The reception was pretty shite. You can get a switching unit that plugs into the BUS input on the back of your head unit (used to power and control your CD changer.) Then you can plug the iPod into the phono input on the head unit. The switch just tricks the head unit into thinking that the iPod is a disc changer.... does that make sense? :rolleyes:

Other way round it is to get a disc changer... fit it then have a switching unit for the phono leads so that you can change the input from the CD changer to iPod as and when required.

Hope that helps.

Jonny

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Alpine do a module that allows you to connect your iPod to any of their AiNet headunits. clicky
You use the head unit to control the iPod so it can go in the glove box out of sight. Finding tracks can be a bit tricky especially while driving.
Halfords also sell an Alpine headunit with the adaptor included.
Dension also make a link for Alpine MBus units.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'v just gone down the Alpine/ipod route. Works an absolute treat. Although the unit I bought 9853R (i think) has some stupid glide pad thing on it that is really annoying and hard to get to grips with......especially on the move!

I think kenwood are also due to release a similar Ipod gizmo anytime now. I paid just under £250 all in from Car Electronics in Derby.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't use the iTrip - what a load of **** lol - I never once got decent reception and I tried every single frequency possible.

I have a simple Aux input on my headunit, with 3 composite cables coming out (yellow video red white stereo audio) so when I need to plug in the ipod I use a stereo-to-3.5mm adapter which allows the phono cables to plug straight into the ipod's headphone socket.

No funky adaptors needed, and I have enough cable length to keep the ipod on the passenger seat/ashtray to change tunes and be able to see the screen.

When I take it out I hide the cable under the seat which is where it comes out anyway - so it all looks neat.

I find that this is the best way since you just can't use the ipod properly without being able to see the screen.

However if someone has a headunit that's able to show Ipod's screen on it (track name, playlists, browse by whatever etc) then I'd really appreciate a review since that sounds like the next step up!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
For those of you using the Itrip with ya Ipods it works best when it is near (0.5 m) the actual aerial of the car. In a 5 and 6 this is obviously the rear windscreen. For the 7 and 8 its pretty similar!! Any further away then the Itrips signal is nmot strong enough to give you crystal clear FM like sound and interference can be heard!!

Just a helpful tip!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.