Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HH6- You mention intermittent speedos in another thread as a problem with Evos.

My mate has an Extreme and he says that his speedo will drop to 0 for a few seconds then come back to normal. It does this about once a month apparently.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you know how its fixed?

Thanks mate
John.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had this problem on-and-off for a while now. I mentioned it at Ralliart once, and the response was (more-or-less) Yeah, they do that sometimes ... - Not very satisfactory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its affected my E5 GSR as well, sometimes drops to zero but picks up within a few seconds. Other times when accelerating it starts to wander for a bit but soon settles down. I thought it might be due to the speedo kph/mph converter but have not tried a second unit to test this theory.

....Spanpody

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John / Andy,
There was a problem on some of the Evos with a dodgy speed convertor. I had mine replaced by Ralliart under warranty when I got the symptoms you describe.
What happens is there are 2 types of convertor, one that mounts on the bulkhead and one that mounts directly in-line from the gearbox output. The one that mounts on the bulkhead is prone to vibration and this can cause a bad connection. When you get it replaced, make sure that they put the in-line version in and you won't have anymore problems with it.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My speedo occasionally flicks up to full scale. When I first had the car it did it alot more. I spoke with ralliart and they said that there are 2 types of speed converters (converts pulses from speed transducer from kmh to mph). The old type was prone to intermittant and total failures where the speed would drop to zero (your symptoms). The new type was not prone to these failures. I dunno when the changeover was but my dec 2000 reg TME has a new one.

The old ones are square apparently whilst the new ones are round. They can be found on the top of the gear box under all the induction piping.

If the car was supplied by Ralliart then I would suggest that you get them to replace the item with one of the new style ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There you go ;)
Saves me a lot of typing, perhaps I should mention some more of the FAQ's and save my keyboard LOL :D
Btw anyone got a piccy or can take a piccy of the old type (and new type) speedo convertor that Ralliart fitted?
It would help to illustrate what to look for on the FAQ.

Post here if you can take one or have one before emailing (rather than get swamped with piccies ;))

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colin,
I can't wait for these FAQ's. They will save a lot of necessary typing and leave more time for the uneccesary b******s that we talk about in General Discussion http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tonguewink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Andy

P.S Should hopefully be able to test out the reversed dump valve / KitKat wrapper arrangement shortly but I need to get a blank for the return line to the intake. Do you know where I can get one?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mines going in to Gallagers tomorow to have the very same problem fixed , having the spots (fogs) linked up to my main beam at the same time .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heavo Ho

I will e-mail you a piccy of the old type either later tonight if I can be arsed to go and take the photo or tomorrow!

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andy,
Just wrap some insulating or amalagmating tape around the pipe tightly to blank the hole?
I agree about the FAQ's, all you should need to type hopefully is 'look in the FAQ's dumbass!' (dumbass is optional of course ;)).
btw one of the FAQ's will definitely NOT be where has MichaelK gone :D

Silver Fox,
Cheers, it would be great to get a piccy but I know the feeling! I was going to take some piccies today but I couldn't be arsed to open the bonnet ;) I assume by the old type you mean the one on the bulkhead?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HH,
Won't be able to try it tonight as I'm off out for a christmas do but should get around to it tomorrow. At least we will eventually know what happens when the dump valve is reversed.... Just need to keep eating these KitKats. Only 15 more to go today and that should be enough ;)

I'll update you on the outcome.

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts