Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i would say he has got it about right....

that is why i enjoy the mimms/boxhill (japukmeets) gatherings so much more that the evo only meets (apart from donnington this sunday, which was great), as there is always GTiR's, RX-7's and cossies, which make is a much more interesting event instead of the usual evo is better than everything type affair (billings/trax for example, where a lot of the time people spent the whole time taking the #### out of the other cars).

look at bolney, quite easily the biggest and best meet of last year and then compare it to the mails (i didnt go), about Oulton park...

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was Skyline owners who looked down the noses at both Scooby and amp; Evo drivers/owners and quoting ring lap times etc.

I like both Scoobys and Evo's - as you know I'm looking for an Evo 6 at the moment.
I've had 2 Scoobs a GT4 celica and a whole host of other cars TVR's etc.

Car choice is a very personal thing - also money does have to come into it for most of us.

If I had unlimited funds I would have a hyper car (F1 McLaren, Bugatti EB110, TVR speed 12 etc) but for every day it would be an EVO extreme. I dont think you can beat the Evo or the Scoob for driveability in 90% of circumstances (I have borrowed a couple of Evo 5's for long weekends in the past). My opinion of the Skyline is its a fast A Road car and not a B road car.

I don't think I would buy a Skyline for the same reason I wouldn't buy a M3 BMW. They dont suit me at the moment.

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote- I have always found an inherent smugness resident in the characteristics of some Evo owners, very much a 'My wife and I couldn't help but notice that our car is considerably better than yours' kind of thing.

I would tend to agree with this to some degree, but As I have no wife, and we have a vast variety of cars in our family possesion including scooby's an Evo and a Porch I think I can comment on this..

To my degree of knowledge most people who own a nice car think its better than other peoples cars, why else would they buy it?

I am 24 years old and drive a EVO 6 GSR, i think I deserve a degree of smugness, as I love my car, but still appreciate other makes..

I have a good few scooby owner freinds, including my Brother, who at every opportunity try and put down my EVO 6. I wonder why that is? :)

The majority of scooby owners I come across, are allways on about how they blow away the evos etc.. So why not some smugness on our behalf? After all most people who own an Evo have owned scoobys, Fords Lotus before the EVO..

Rant over! Hope I aint offended any one, I love types of cars!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part of Scoobynets success though must be down to the much broader owner base of Scoobs compared to the Evo's. There are simply many more people who own scoobs and can contribute to the forum.
The Evo has always been a rare car, and there are only going to be so many UK owners that can visit this forum regularly.

Most car forums have a 'my car is better' feel. Before the posts were lost this one didn't seem that bad.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll tell you whats weird!

Look at this http://www.blowdog.com/images/blowdogartz/cem_is_crap.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't consider myself smug. But from the scoobs I have driven I consider the EVO to be a different level in terms of a drivers car . Simple. Doesn't make me any better, its just what I prefer.
For the very same reasons I ditched my elise and got a 340r. But then not everyone is as demanding as me and prepared to put up with the evils that do come with harder-edged more sharply focused drivers cars.

Scoob is still a great package but too mainstream for me. and the EVO is much more desirable being in far smaller numbers , being much more arresting shape (imo) and being much closer to a true rally replica. Its wrc counterpart is also the most successful car ever and that again adds to the image and amp; kudos.

Going through scoobynet I have found that some of the owners comments point to a real lack of experience when it comes to driving different cars - I heard a lot of comments about being scared of RWD and mid-engined etc.. and no ABS etc..And when the scooby steering feel has been slated for its remoteness they don't seem to know what that means... i.e. they have never driven a real tactile performance car. Obviously not talking about every scoob owner here and its not a problem either, they enjoy what they have so thats the main thing but I point this finding out to once again emphasise that the scoob pleases a lot of people who haven't sampled anything better and that its very mainstream appeal. Hence why scoob to EVO converts almost NEVER go back to scoob again. Also, those who have actually been bothered to go out and drive an EVO 99% of the time come back and report on scoobynet just how sensational it is and how much further on than scoob it is.

I always stand by the axiom that once you get to a certain level of excellence with all these cars, there is no better, only different. And scoob does some things better than EVO.

Then again, bit of smugness and amp; winding up amongst friends never did any harm :)

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 admit that things do get nasty round here sometimes,which aint right because i remeber when i first started reading the board and the mood ust 2 be really good and it was good fun reading it,nowadays things do tend to get blown out of all proportion! sometimes i dont want 2 post for fear of being ripped apart just for a difference in opinion obviously this isnt the case with all threads because i still think the forum is great. i cudnt resist i had 2 post my 2p worth on this 1. but having sed that most peeps i have met through the MLR are top guys and gals,and really enjoy all the meets we have. I have an appreciation for all performance cars as my dad has owned many since i was little and I luved em all and the evo aswell. I think its the skyline people that have the problem sometime ago i posted a thread on their board about general buying information on an R34, the type of stuff people reply to in threads of potential buyers on this forum all the time. Not one of them bothered to reply and i was very surprised how even though many of their members own R34's none of them knew their cars well enough to post a reply! since i hav not gone off the idea of a skyline but definetly gone off the idea of joining the owners club! im not being biased here just stating facts, as with all clubs it is made of individuals and some may not be as nice as other,this cant be helped by the club as a whole. I attend many mimms meets and i to enjoy interclub events such as boxhill with the gti-r's hondas cossies(got 1 so im biased ;) ) and the Rally super car day last may was the highlight of my events callendar had loads of super cars from all types manufacturers. Thanks to Darin Brian and every1 else who puts in alot of effort behind the seens and dont be put off by stuff like this written on the net!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It says on that site The Evo VI has always been the more expensive, more exclusive and some may argue, more competent car between the Mitsubishi's and the Subaru's

So, please enlighten me here, does that mean that the Evo being superior (performance-wise) to a Scooby is a matter of OPINION??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is one person's opinion. I think he's completely wrong about the Forum. It's more entertaining (for me) when there's some handbag swiping going on. It's not usually very serious (except obviously the MichaelK thing) and more often than not is tongue in cheek!

I admit, I think Evo's are the better car. If I didn't, I'd have bought a Scoob or Skyline or Supra! Isn't that the case for everyone (including the Scoob, Skyline, Supra etc owners)? If smugness is the above, then smug I am!

That Blowdog seems to be taking all this BBS stuff a bit too seriously!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting comments.

Yep I'm a smug basrd ,if I didn't own an Evo and the range were not available I would have had an STI scoob,if I could afford a skyline Id buy a porche 911 turbo and be even smugger than I am.
I also have a big nose to look down on scoobs its also great for muff diving as well.
I don't even bother looking at scoobs any more unless it stands out from the crowd.
My eyes could spot an Evo at 500yrds travelling fast.
There are plenty of other cars to admire besides the ever popular subaru vectra,sorry !subaru justy,fk it ,ford impreza.no,no ! whats it called again?:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blowdog's comments have a ring of truth about them but I don't think the MLR has been much worse that many others over the years. With any community there is always a few try-hards who want to sling it about a bit, feel they have to post on every topic and generally be a pita.

There are a lot of real enthusiasts here and although recently there has been a lot of introspection and paranoia it is still the place for Lancer-related chat in the UK or possibly elesewhere. Sure we've had a couple of plonkers hang around over the years but they generally don't last and it's sad to see people who have a lot to contribute feel they want to stop posting, and I don't just mean technical knowledge, personally I think Shorty is more important to this BBS than HH6, Blade, TonyC, Lightspeed and Evoboy put together! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting comments.

I think it is human nature to asume oneself to be better that thy neighbour. It's the expression of that opinion that makes the difference, which is where smugness comes in. Also note I didn't say 'all' Evo owners, just most. I invited people to email me if they thought I was smug ;)

I've met a lot of people in the MLR and I have to say the nicest were those within the organisation structure. There is a real effort there to make a non-profit making and completely reward free club into something that can be enjoyed by thousands of others. But on the flip side I've seen some real nasty work on this forum too. But that goes hand in hand with the modern day BBS. But sadly I've become less inclined to use this forum, which is why it's taken me so long to reply to this. Doesn't stop me from re-subscribing to MLR membership.

Just enjoy what you have and respect your rivals, if not love them.

Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately, it will be the nasty comments that drive the real enthusiasts away and with them goes their experiences. Just look at the reductions in postings since the Outlon Park fiasco. We are loosing the good guys and new members are reluctant to join - all to the benefit of other forums.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You get differences everywhere you go even *within* car clubs (the Porsche club has been reported to have a split in its' own ranks between greater and lesser model owners!!). On the JapCars BBS (www.jcars.co.uk) in the Mitsubishi FTO section you always get someone coming on banging on about the advantages of one car over another (usually Fiat Coupe or Teg'R) and even in the early days of FTO ownership there was a GPX/GR divide (now we're all more sensible and agree there's only minute differences and get on like a nice little family :) )

There is one thing I've learned from all this (as mentioned above in this thread by InsBro), car ownership is most definately a *personal preference* and it is only Human nature to blame for looking down the nose kind of thing. We're all guilty to a certain extent. But the difference is those who can get along nicely with others.

Forums like this attract the type of people we all don't like to see but the advantages of such a thing far outweigh the minority who like to stir up trouble. Pat on the back for all concerned in running it I say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chunky you are so kind mate ,the vectra is running fine thanks.But don't tell any one else its a secret.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts