Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is a daft question, but can the intercooler be turned round? I've not had chance to have a good look - the reason is the reverse side would be nice and clean, which could then be sprayed with the Mitsi Diamond. The connector pipes look the same but are the mountings only on one side? Is it designed to flow air just 1 way?

Cheers,

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you want to do that, you'd have to weld all the mounts into different places and probably have to change the angles on the connector pipes. Too difficult if you ask me. Why not just clean the front side and bend everything straight again?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the best way to clean the IC? Mine has already a grave yard of flies on it and it's not even summer!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm.. i want to know too, its not only bugs, some mud and grass too on mine, i usually borrow those water guns(hmm, dunno what that call, but those little machine that add pressure and use to wash the streets).
but thats when i saw those ppl cleaning my apartments parking lot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be very carefull when using steam cleaners or high presure hose when cleaning i/c or radiator as the fins blend over very easily. A good wheel cleaner works well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree wheel cleaner seems to work quite well.
Can you take the mesh off in front of the intercooler without removing the bumper?
(Evo6 btw)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree with Blair,

High pressure washers can damage the intercooler fins. Heard of some poor sod who gave his a very thorough wash and bent so many fins he needed a new one! Wheel cleaner would be a possiblity, although if you are using some of the stronger stuff like Wonderwheels, might be an idea to test it on a small section first to make sure it doesnt discolour the intercooler metal.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to change an intercooler once in a friends car. I don’t think that the mounting brackets were welded on. They seemed to be riveted through a bed of some kind of epoxy adhesive.

I think that it really does not make sense try turning the intercooler for purely aesthetic reasons but it might not be such a big job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts