Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to sound dense, but where does the water come from when I press that nice button thingy on the centre console of my EVO 1V?

Is it the washer bottle or is there another reservoir that I am missing somewhere

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Don't quote me on this as I am not sure about the IV but on my VI the bottle for intercooler spray is in the engine bay, and washer bottle is located in the boot on the left hand side. I expect someone on list will know for sure.

Regards Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Dont quote me on this, but I did read somewhere recently that the IV uses the windscreen washer fluid for the intercooler spray.

Sounds a bit odd, not to mention dangerous! But then again I cant find anywhere else where the water might go on my IV.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
OK so I found the button for the spray... When do I need it and how many pressess or how long is it left on for ? or what am I supposed to do with it as it runs OK in this cold weather without....

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
yes the water for the intercooler comes from your washer bottle, don`t believe then drain the bottle and push the button....no water filler up voila simple why is it odd or even dangerous its only water and perhaps some screen wash????

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
The Screen wash supply is the same supply for the Intercooler spray.

Using the spary when the outside temperature is cold will make no difference.
The theory behind the spray is that cool air is denser than hot air, so the cooler the air the 'more' air you can get into the engine. The Inercoolers job is to cool the air, so if the outside temperatue is HOT then sprayin cold water over the intercoor should cool the air down more than if the spray was not there.

I personally think that there are a few drawbacks with the system, the first one is that there will always be a time lag from when you press the button - to the water spraying - to the air in the intercooler getting into the engine and being burnt. This means that you need to plan ahead. If you are busy conentrating, (usually going round a bend at the time) finding the button to press isn't the easiest thing to do. It will probably be of benefit it it is like on the rally cars and operated done automatically when a specific boost is met (or whatever) and is basically left spraying. I do not know how long the washer bottle would last far, but I feel that with our poor weather and road conditions the water is best used on the windscreen.

Regards
Markja

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone ever tried connecting a switch to the throttle peda so that the spray comes on automatically at full throttle. Should be very easy to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, I just thought:

I add IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) to my washer bottle to help clean the glass, so if I had an intercooler spray I suppose I could get some really impressive flames out of my bonnet every time I used it.

What do you think?

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Visited Halfords at the weekend and took a look at the screen washer fluids. An awful lot carry a 'highly flammable' symbol!

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
yes it may but it won`t ignite just by spraying onto the intercooler , christ there not going to let people spray `napalm` onto their windscreens are they and i`ve never in my line of work attended cars catching fire with screenwash!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts