Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The intercooler spray on my 4 hardly ever gets used, switch in a silly place really. Anyway, browsing through the Demon tweeks catalouge I noticed an electronic fan control unit ( top of page 205 ) that is fully adjustable, and looks easy to fit. Now this unit is to be plumbed into the cooling system and switches you electric fan on. Could this be modified ( bodged ) to fit into the intercooler pipe work somewhere and fire of the cooling spray in short bursts when it senses it needs it ? I know other people sell the correct bits to achieve this but they seem a bit on the dear side, this one only costs £ 35 |PLS| the vat. What do we think ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What would be the point, unless you want to cool the intercooler while your stood still at the lights?

The air flow through normal driving would more than exceed the amount that a fan could blow through it.

Rich.

Best bet would be to get the P.E. Intelligent Automatic Water Spray Control Unit
.....£160 inc. VAT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Controlling a fan isn't like controlling the water spray. The problem with automating the water spray is making it squirt at the right time. A simple temperature switch isn't really enough. You don't want it spraying when the car is just sat idling (who cares about power then) - but when it is on the move, but the charge temperature is rising (because the intercooler is not cooling quickly enough). There is only 2 litres of water in the spray resourvoir, and that will run out very quickly.

I have the power engineering automated one, which was developed on my car, and took forever to get it to work right (which it does now) - but I have had it plumbed to share a 2 gallon tank in the boot (which also serves the water injection).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always get the Autospeed one which in my opinion uses a better intelligence system than the PE one, plus it's cheaper! I am thinking of getting it along with some improved spray nozzles which is the weakest link in the system in my opinion. 2 industrial spray nozzles plus the controller for less than £120, without the nozzles for £96. Bare bones kit, no nozzles £57 (no box or leads/cables but ready to wire in). All prices also include 2-5 day DHL delivery from Oz!
I have held off getting it as I am not convinced there will be much of a benefit this time of year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts