Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light,

roughly what is the relationship between flowrate and intercooler exit temp?

The inlet temperture will be almost constant for a fixed inlet manifold boost pressure. If the heat transfer coefficients were constant then there would be a inverse linear relationship beween flowrate and temp drop - as flowrate doubles so temp drop halves.

However coefficients will change. According to Perry the heat transfer coefficient of finned surfaces is proportional to velocity to the power of 0.6 (equation 10-64). Velocity is proportional to flow.

I think this means that intercooler temp drop is proportional to flow to the power of -0.4 or as flow rate doubles the temp drop will be ~76% of what is was.

Hmmmm may have just answered my own question. Any comments?

Of course the transfer coefficient of the metal will not change with changing flow but this is normally massive anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O.G.

Have to get back to you on this one. Haven't got my heat transfer books and notes here.
All back in UK.

Also haven't got time this week - too busy waxing up my snowboard for a week in Val d'Isere.
Spent a whole night filling up the P'Tex - Palmer Carbon P'Tex is as soft as cheese!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oli,
I think that your calcs are right about the way that it varies but I'll check tonight with my textbooks to confirm.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lightspeed

While you are in Val D'Isere you must go to the Ice track and do some ice go karting. It is just the best fun! You will see it on the edge of town. Only problem is, it is f###### expensive, but worth it :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some indoor ice karting at Courcheval a few years back and it wasn't much cop - not enough power!!! I assume the ones at Val are outdoor and more pokey.

Skiddoo'ing at La Plagne was a good laugh - especially trying to get air when the leader wasn't looking.

Best laugh is still steep and deep on a board - first time on a big powder field had me giggling all night. Never touched a pair of skis since.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx chaps. Have modified my spreadsheet accordingly. It's really starting to show the need for a bloody good intercooler. You can see why trucks have such big uns - those boys don't do anything for show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.