Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had problems a couple of weeks ago with the inter cooler pipe coming away from the turbo and the dealer supposedly putting it back more securely. On way home last night sudddenly started to get an extra woooshing sound as the turbo started to kick in, sounds like air is just escaping. Am i right in assuming this is likely to be an inter cooler pipe coming loose again?

Assuming that is the case, I checked all the visible connections when i got home and couldn't find anything loose (of course the pipe from the turbo is not visible or easy to get at). Tried a gentle rev while stationary to help find the problem, and it does not repeat the problem. So went round the block, and while i'm moving it does it every time but again not while stationary. Any way of helping to determine where it's leaking?

cheers,
Neil

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine was the same when a used a screw driver to tighten the clip up!! I used a rachet and socket and it has been fine after that! Could try that if you havn't already

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Sounds like a pipe has blown off again.

you won't replicate the problem with gentle revving while stationary, you need to load the engine to get the boost up.

You will have to check all the pipe connections, start at the air filter and work your way to the inlet manifold checking all the clips and hoses.

·
Registered
248 Posts
pipe

if the pipes blown off try cleaning in the bore of the hose and where it fits,you often get a film of oil that builds up and this can cause them to blow off easier,used to get it all the time on me old 21 turbo.

ps, dont overtighten the clip or youl **** it!!

dean

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
lee5 said:
Got any pics of over-centre clips
lee
this is one example of a t-bolt / over-centre clamp
- you can also get them spring loaded, in double/triple-core, bolts on both sides etc

personally, I'm inclined to using x2 clamps on each 'major'
metal-to-silicon hose joint, to try and stop pipes 'blowing off'
...especially on track days and/or with increased boost

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've got a system knocked up for pressurising the whole boost side to see if it holds pressure and to find leaks if you wanna come down to me.
Thanks Rich, i may end up taking you up on that. For now i have found the leak, turns out to be the same joint that was supposedly fixed by the dealer 2 weeks ago under warranty. Despite 2 attempts, I can't get it too hold properly and a test run sees it start to move again. So it's going back to the dealer next week to see what they can do this time.

Cheers,
Neil

·
Registered
250 Posts
if you take it back, I'd make sure they fit a new clip at least, the old one might be strained and so won't tighten up properly or slip... I had a hose clip that appears to have been overtightened and or crossed, looks a bit chewed and wouldn't grip evenly. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.