Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever managed to get insured for the Nurburgring cos its looking more and more likely that you just take a chance. Going there at the end of April.

·
NR555
7,428 Posts
I understood it that the nurburgring is a one way public toll road so as long your have european cover all is well. Note this is only what i have heard in the past. DON'T take it as gospel, check up.

link added:

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.html

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have seen some policies exclude de-restricted toll roads. Check you policy very carefully before assuming you are covered.

:)

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
The best answer is Probably NOT:(

There have been quite a few changes in the definitions of the exclusions under general policies set by the Insurance Ombudsman.

Which would make a trackday -"Racing" or "pacemaking"

Not good news sorry

Jez

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Paul, while your checking your insurance you should check your breakdown cover as some policies have a 10mile exclusion zone around the Ring, and its a b6gger to get your newly mashed car towed home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried Egger Lawson (Competition track insurance)

0115 941 5255

Most policies would cover you under their standard cover for the ring as it is a road, but you need to ensure that you have a green card (some insurers restrict cover to TPO in the EU), and that your insurer does not specifically exclude de-restricted toll roads.

If you have any doubts probably better to get some insurance as the ring is not very forgiving, and you can not be sure of the skill levels or courtesy of some of the cars around you

·
Registered
609 Posts
paul harrison said:
Has anyone ever managed to get insured for the Nurburgring cos its looking more and more likely that you just take a chance. Going there at the end of April.
paul can you keep us posted about what you do on this matter, as i am off in May also, any quotes etc you get would be helpful

thanks

russ

·
Registered
845 Posts
InsBro said:
The best answer is Probably NOT:(

There have been quite a few changes in the definitions of the exclusions under general policies set by the Insurance Ombudsman.

Which would make a trackday -"Racing" or "pacemaking"

Not good news sorry

Jez
I have looked into this and there are still a high level of companies who do not specifically exclude the ring from cover. Some do specifically exclude it however.

My insurance co said as long as you are not "racing" or "lapping" (was the specific term they used" as in timing a lap, then there is no exclusiion.

As the road constitutes a genuine toll road, ie: it still has speed restriction signs and german law states you HAVE to pass on the left, unless the policy exlcudes it as a locaiton you should be ok?

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Stu.R-VII said:

My insurance co said as long as you are not "racing"
Ask the claims department and the underwriting department to confirm the definition of that.

Did they mention Speed testing?

If so get the exact definition of that.

Jez

1 - 11 of 11 Posts