Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done there advanced driver training course???

Any views or comments???

What insurance discounts have people been given??? (if any!)

thanks

russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
I did mine about 4 years ago.
Whilst I understand where they were coming from, I didn't always agree with the way they were teaching me to drive.
It does help you become more aware of other road users, but is basically defensive driving at the speed limit.

I only took the course as it was on my list of things to do.

I have never seen lower insurance, but it is another tool to use to haggle with, as is shotgun licence :D

If someone is not a confident driver, or has experienced a bad accident, I would recommend it to them.

HTH
Patt

p.s. it doesn't cost much either and as a charity is tax deductible ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
I did the test in 1990 :( Marvin has summed it up nicely.

the 'system' is all about deffensive driving, and being more aware of what is going on around you.

As for benifits, I too have never seen a cheaper insurance quote, (but have not had an accident either :) )

..... and the quarterly mag is a little dull !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Did it in 92 and got re-assessed last year. I think it's worth doing as it's a very cheap way of learning to drive systematically and do proper bend assessment etc., which will always stand you in good stead when moving up to more performance related advanced courses and even track driving, as the principles are the same.

Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
123456 said:
I was thinking of having a re-assement

Did you have some more 'lessons' or just read the book and go for it ?
Had two observed runs and he said I was up to standard so went right for it. I had to retake my test as I had lost contact for more than two years, which apparently means you get struck off now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
What a lot of f*ckin shite :blah: :mad:

"I am approaching a bus stop and must be aware that their will be people at the stop and look out for a bus etc,etc,etc,etc" blah blah blah BULLSHIT :mad:

And having to sit wi a traffic piggie :( :blah: :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39,091 Posts
big fra said:
But each to their own i suppose :blush:
I never done it and ive only been driving 4 years, in my opinion once you pass your test you learn more yourself. :crackup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,120 Posts
14 years behind the wheel and while I'm pretty sure they won't be teaching me stuff I haven't already figured out, at least I'll have the bit of paper. It's on the list of stuff to do when I eventually remember, like a 1st Lotus course and actually getting some track time.

Car accidents involving advanced drivers with track and race experience are generally reported about differently in the press. The term "boy racer" rarely gets used about advanced drivers for some obscure reason...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,285 Posts
big fra said:
"I am approaching a bus stop and must be aware that their will be people at the stop and look out for a bus etc,etc,etc,etc" blah blah blah BULLSHIT :mad:
I have never done the test but can you tell me why its bullshit to think the above? If you aren't doing that at all times at every place where there may be a problem you are not driving well. Or do you take the attitude that if you are in the right, sod everybody else?

Driving is all about risk assessment and awareness. It always amazes me how much people do not pay attention. For example, it people who getting caught for speeding regularly. Getting caught by a speed camara these days should carry a "driving without due care and attention" as well because you need to be blind not to see the large floro yellow box and the road markings.

Most of the stuff taught by the IAM is total common sense so how can that be BS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
Well said Simon, couldn't have put it better myself.

Sounds like an x-volve/bmw owner.
they think they wither own theroad or don't care coz they are driving a Sherman tank :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
I did the IAM test when I was 19. It is mostly common sense and it is mostly very obvious but that doesn't mean that everyone is already doing it. It doesn't have to be a different style of driving, it just adds to your ability to see and predict what is happening.

Anyone who thinks that their driving cannot be improved might perhaps be a bit optomistic as to their abilities :moon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Steve PH said:
I did the IAM test when I was 19. It is mostly common sense and it is mostly very obvious but that doesn't mean that everyone is already doing it. It doesn't have to be a different style of driving, it just adds to your ability to see and predict what is happening.

Anyone who thinks that their driving cannot be improved might perhaps be a bit optomistic as to their abilities :moon:
2nd that.

I've not had any insurance reduction but I reckon I'm a safer driver afterwards so I'm happy :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,300 Posts
I think we all need to pitch in a few quid and send Gaz on it? Might help save him a fortune in panel damage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Reims said:
I think we all need to pitch in a few quid and send Gaz on it? Might help save him a fortune in panel damage?
Good idea, we could send Jez back to primary school at the same time so he can learn to read :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
Simon7extreme said:
I have never done the test but can you tell me why its bullshit to think the above? If you aren't doing that at all times at every place where there may be a problem you are not driving well. Or do you take the attitude that if you are in the right, sod everybody else?

Driving is all about risk assessment and awareness. It always amazes me how much people do not pay attention. For example, it people who getting caught for speeding regularly. Getting caught by a speed camara these days should carry a "driving without due care and attention" as well because you need to be blind not to see the large floro yellow box and the road markings.

Most of the stuff taught by the IAM is total common sense so how can that be BS.
Of course i already do that,i just don't feel i need to tell some ****** who is sitting beside me everything i see on the road :mad:
Jesus :rolleyes:

Oh and what makes you such a good f*ckin driver :confused: :mad:

And if you havent done it then shut the f*ck up :mad:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top