Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys need your advice,thinking of putting an induction kit on my 5.
What is the best kit to use
Ease of fitting
Also the pro's and cons of fitting a kit
I've decatted the car and i now have a magnex exhaust system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
jonah,

I have a 5 also, with full de-cat Magnex. I bought the Blitz sus kit, purely 'cos it is better quality than the HKS one. It is also dry, no re-oiling and there have been questons asked about potential problems of oil entranement. The blitz is a piece of cake to fit (about 10 mins) and gives a good 'sluuuurrrrp' induction noise. I noticed the car pulls much stronger at about 4000prm. The Blitz racing induction kit uses the same filter with a nice shiny ali pipe on it. Bit pricey, though!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went Apexi with decatted Magnex.... from what i read the Apexi filtered the best of all of them.... so thats why... probably not as noisey as the Blitz but does the job

Jevo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few months ago there was a test done by another car club. All the filters came out very close in terms of airflow. However, I believe that the test method invalidated the results of the filtering. Basically, they used a vacuum cleaner as the suction mechanism and it sucked all the oil off the HKS filter which made the results look bad. I don't think there is much to choose between them all so I think you can go for looks as much as anything!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jonah,
The main thing about fitting an induction kit is to make sure that it is getting cold air and not hot under bonnet air. There are a few ways of doing this (in order of preference).
1. Get a battery relocation kit from Ralliart or another make (Spec-R??), put the filter inside the box and route cold air up to the box from a suitable intake point in the front bumper.
2. Seal the filter off from the rest of the engine bay with a heat shield and route cold air from the front of the car up to the filter in its original position.
3. Mount the filter on its own and route cold air up to it without any shielding from the hot underbonnet air.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so my car is slow, but it's very shiny!:)

Andy F,

I can't honestly see how hot air is gonna be a problem. Surely hot air is only drawn in at stand still, as soon as you're on the move the side duct in the bumper and the nearside bonnet intake will supply sufficient cold air to the filter, even without enclosing it? Once moving, all heated air from the rad, i/c, oil cooler and rocker cover should be exhausted through the bonnet vents (god knows they're big enough). It would be interesting to see data on this, but I suppose without a wind tunnel, it is all theory, or is there data somewhere?

B4 you all start, this is more of a question than an answer, 'cos I know nothing!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pondy

the side duct does not actually flow in cold air. Look at it carefully and you will see it goes from the inside of the bonnet ... to the inside of the bonnet!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But Andy,
Every little bit helps and that's why some people go to the lengths of covering the exhaust with insulating wrap and heat shielding as much as possible under the bonnet. After all, every 2 degrees drop in intake temp gives an approximate extra 1 bhp so any improvement will give an increase in power.
Also, I can see your point about being on the move at speed but the initial 'foot down' moment when pulling away from standstill or traffic jams etc may cause problems due to the high inlet temps. The same thing occurs on rolling roads and if the high temps cause detontation then the ECU will retard the ignition and you'll get a crap power output.

I've got an intake temp probe mounted in my Evo and hopefully soon I'll be getting hold of a custom made cold air box so I'll be able to give you some info. What I can do is give some info on running with the original airbox compared to the induction kit without any shielding (my current setup) but with a cold air feed from the bottom vent in the bumper resulted in an average reduction in temps of about 10 degress but this also conincided with a change in weather and so may not be fully accurate. I can do some comparison tests when I get hold of an original airbox from Mr. Legend as my one got a bit mangled when I was removing it.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am just about to fit the Hks racing induction kit to my 7.
Does any one think it would be a good idea to leave the air intake scoop leading to the air box(it is an L shaped part held on by two screws)as I think this would direct extra fresh air towards the filter.Who has fitted the HKS kit to the 7? any comments...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.