Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to increase the boost by 0.2 ~ 0.3 bars in a
EVO6 TME ? Is it just a question of adjusting the wastegate actuator ?

I am looking for a cheap, non-traceable solution !

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Alex.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You have to modify the restrictors diameter or to remove the boost solenoid grommet.
Be careful about the fuel cuts above 1.3bars with the standard ecu.
Don't do it if you don't have a boost gauge to monitor the boost level.

Use the search mode there are a lot of old topics about this,use the words fuel cuts,boost level,solenoid,boost pressure,wastegate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maxi is right (as usual http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) however I would also like to reaffirm Maxi's warning about going down this route. Small changes in the restrictor diameter effect the boost level a lot. Do not even consider altering the restrictors unless you have a something reliable to measure the boost pressure and you know exactly what you are doing. Also remember you may not get fuel cuts this time of the year with the high ambient air temperatures but come the winter fuel cuts may rear their head with the standard ECU.
If you are going up to 1.3 bar boost pressure then consider upgrading the con-rod bolts.

By the way its not untraceable as you can easily tell if the restrictors have been removed or altered in anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can buy restrictors for (I believe) very little money since they are very tiny pieces of metal. I would buy one and play with it, if something goes wrong, replace the original restrictor, if that's not undetectable, I couldnt say would be!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replacing the standard exhaust with a more free-flowing design often has the effect of raising boost by 0.1-0.2 bar, nothing needs to be touched on the engine and it is totally reversible at any time.

Reduced backpressure is the reason, many have reported jumps of about 20-30bhp with just exhaust swaps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all your replies.

I just want to experiment a bit by chainging the restrictor diameters
and observing different boost pressures. Ideally I am targetting to
a boost pressure somewhere between 1.2 - 1.3 bars, but I don't want
to make any engine modifications for the time being. The problem is
not the actual cost of the modification but the invalidation of the
warranty. As I have to visit my local Mitsubishi dealers every 4.5 K
miles (to keep the warranty alive) I can not have put a new exhaust
in the car.

That's why the restrictor thing sounds like a good idea.

The question is where is that restrictor located in the car ?

Can anyone help me on that ?

Thank you for your replies,

Alex.

(P.S. I have a pretty good idea about the boost solenoids grommet is but
no idea at all about the main restrictor)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be very careful if you are 'just going to increase the boost', it can be very bad for an engine if you increase the boost without increasing the fuel. I have a Blitz boost controller and had my EVO IV dyno'ed at power engineering, just by increasing the boost by 0.1bar the engine 'pinked' which is predetonation and too much of this can cause serious damage to your top end. It is a cheap way of increasing power but you should really increase the amount of fuel as you increase the boost. There is no cheap way of doing this as far as I aware!!!!!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts