·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,
I am trying to decide between one of these all in one units
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=246244

or an fully loaded In-car PC

Essentially they will do the same thing and i have reservations with each.

Im concerned that an in-car PC would take some time to boot up and ultimatly annoy me, the system I and looking at would be a 1.6ghz/1GB RAM, have any of you had any experiance with one and how long they take to get going - I dont want to be half way to work before I can listen to music!

The all in-one system would be easier to install but there is a lot of compramise with screen resolution and sound quality

I can sort a PC for £300 so looking around the same price for an all in one, so I am not after anything state of the art but something that is easy to live with.

Any advice would be great, I've lost days of work comparing the two now and really want to get something ordered

·
Registered
732 Posts
i am biased as the other thread youve linked is mine!

to be honest i dont notice any difference in sound quality between the old sony unit i had and the new double din one. if anything the sound on the new one is better as there are more frequencies that can be changed in the e/q

if you are looking for top quality sound then you shouldnt be looking at either

sorry but i have to ask - why on earth do you want a pc in the car if you want to listen to music?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I was playing with the idea of an incar PC, as i was looking to include the internet and engine diagnostics in to the system

However I have done some dummy runs on a system the same spec as a micro PC and the boot up times were too slow to live with on a daily communte.

However I am now starting to write a embedded windows O/S which should help reduce the boot time considerably - until then I am going to get an all in one unit.... just deciding which one now....

Ta for getting back to me

·
Registered
732 Posts
seperate laptop for diag and mapping work imo

i wrote my reply before id installed and tested properly....for the money mate you cant go wrong, ive used it today loads in all modes :thumbup: a bit slow to respond at times and i would have liked it to go flush to the dash but i have to say once again - for the cash the eonon one i have is awesome. im hugely chuffed with it :smthumbup

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
seperate laptop for diag and mapping work imo

i wrote my reply before id installed and tested properly....for the money mate you cant go wrong, ive used it today loads in all modes :thumbup: a bit slow to respond at times and i would have liked it to go flush to the dash but i have to say once again - for the cash the eonon one i have is awesome. im hugely chuffed with it :smthumbup
Also due to the way our Eonon headunits work, we have the small usb type hook up in the bottom right hand corner and it's ideal for hooking up the connection via the Limitless cable and give your Aux port a series of live readings. It then saves the need to hook up a laptop for the basic stuff as it will already be displayed on your headunit. :coolsm:

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark thanks very much for that... i think answers all my questions..

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts