Lancer Register Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The fuel cut is programmed into the ECU based on throttle angle and air flow meter output(slightly different levels depending on the vehicle and the software within the ECU). Fuel cut defencers limit the output of the air flow meter so the ECU thinks it is seeing 1bar boost but they allow the boost to be wound up to any level. You can imagine the effect of the ECU outputting fuel and ignition figures for 1 bar whilst the engine is seeing 1.2bar!

The original map scaling of fuel and ignition parameters allows complete mapping up to 1.6 bar but of course the fuel cut stops this sort of boost being run.

When we (Power Engineering) re-map the ECU we raise the fuel cut to whatever level is require for the conversion.

We would urge owners not to find their fuel cut level because this is the easiest way to bend connecting rods.

With the fuel cut altered we can then re-map for many different parameters including 95 fuel or 1.6 bar depending on the level of other modifications carried out.

We also re-map the boost control functions to automatically increase boost without the use of external alterations to the boost control valve. (Although the standard boost control system is difficult to control above 1.3 bar, for higher boost we use a completely separate boost control system)

There is a huge amount of fuel and ignition mapping carried out with our ECU and even as low as 2000 rpm we are seeing significant torque increases over the standard ECU.

The re-programming is completely undetectable by dealers and the ECU retains full OBD II diagnostic functions and climate and AYC controls.

After the conversion we can at any stage upload new maps if further tuning is required.

I hope this helps shed some light on the ECU functions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
David Power

Are you talking about 1.6 bars overboost or 1.6 bars constant pressure?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have put my gromet back and now the car is behaving again.

From a reliable source, removing the gromet is not sensible. It certainly fcuked my car up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So at the end of the day !! http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Are we saying I should put my grommet back in ?

I do experience fuel cuts when accelerating hard at the top end fairly regular,

But it does feel f***ing Fast [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think from all of the comments above that in summary:

If you remove the restrictor and get fuel cuts then replace the restrictor/grommet back in straight away otherwise you can leave it out.
Improving the breathing can mean fuel cuts with or without the restrictor removed.
Fuel cuts can damage your engine (con rods) so don't just try and live with it unless you have a fat wallet!

I have a standard GSR with the restrictor removed by the previous owner and have experienced no fuel cuts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Gentlemen, I believe your problems are caused by overboosting. The EVO4 and EVO5 can boost up to about 1.2 bar, maybe 1.3 bar if you are lucky, whereas the EVO6 can boost up to 1.4 bar due to bigger injectors and different style pistons.

Also, you are all correct in inferring that the fuel system will not supply you more fuel to protect the engine from leaning out / overboosting / engine-knock or detonation.

An Apex'i S-AFC would solve this problem, as it is an entry-level fuel computer. Tuned properly, you can theoretically boost all the way to perhaps 1.8 bar on stock intake / exhaust systems, unless your fuel injectors max out first. An HKS Fuel Cut defencer would also be a good idea, but the S-AFC would provide more tuneability and more control of engine parameters, plus it really looks COOL!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I haven,t ever suffered from over boost ,but after rolling rd day ,putting resrictor back in ,the power curve was better.
My car ran to 14 psi what ever that is in bar ,dropped and then boosted again.there was not holding of boost with restrictor out.I am having things looked at on wednesday just to check boost levels,and my turbo actuator.
I will leave the restrictor in for a while to get used to the car .then take it out again to see if things are really different.Removing battery lead s to let the Ecu reset its self.
But why put a restrictor in ,in the first place ,why not just make the part to fit ,like the nozzle next to the restrictor.It must be there for a reason?To be taken out at some stage.
Could there be alot of second had blitz filters on the market soon.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.