Lancer Register Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi,
Anyone who has had or is having bearing problems, let us know what the mileage and if you know if and when the oil was changed last. If there's a pattern it may help to give a better idea as to when the oil is to be changed rather than guess work.;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is a bit of an unnecessary scare story. Check out the Ralliart Owners Manual - Gearbox oil change |EQU| 24k miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK, just got my car back from the garage, had the oil changed, at least i hope they changed it!!! How can i check? anyhow, my cars done 19K miles, the oil change didn't really seam to make a difference, but i really need to get on the motorway or some other quick road, as this is when i really notice the noise. Quick question, my gear shift seems stiff when trying to get it into gear at standstill, sometime I have to push the gear in 3rd or 5th to be able to get it into 1st, sometimes it just goes straight in, could this also be a symptom of the bearing problem, or am I gonna have to fork out for a new gearbox soon!!! The garage would have checked it out for me but i didnt leave enough feul in the car!!! (Silly prat). Also found out that one of my prop shaft bolts, by the rear diff is broken, is this easy to replace or am i best leaving it to the garage?

Prit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi
24k mls is still too long, bearings are failing before they even get to that!.

Prit,
If a bearing is gone in your gearbox changing the oil won't fix it:(. Easiest way for you to check if the oil was changed and that you just got it done, check if the drain plug and filler plug show any signs of being removed ie: socket or spanner marks or a damp patch around either. Other than that crack open the drain plug a few threads to let a bit of oil come out, should be nice and clear and not brown or cloudy:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ive just been for a quick blast in the car, and i can confirm that the noise is there whether the clutch is in or out. I guess i better have it checked out

GSRed
I thought id have the gearbox oil changed, after reading this thread and because the shifter is stiff at times when im trying to put it into 1st at standstill, anyhow the garage was gonna change the oil anyway. Any thoughts on where i could have the gearbox checked properly, i dont really fancy paying upto £65 an hour for the guys at my usual garage to check it out, i swear they arse around half the time, even though im happy with their service :)

G

·
Prit,
All Evo 6 gearboxes I know of are stiff when cold and sometimes 1st, 2nd or reverse are difficult to select. They should free up when used for a bit but can still baulk occansionally. Check out that thread I mentioned above for costs of replacing the gearbox bearings if the worst comes to the worst,you do not need a new gearbox!! please read it as it will answer most of your questions. By the way I know the feeling about £65/hour! Get your car checked out and ask your garage to confirm the best they can what the fault is without starting to strip it down (it should be fairly easy for them to track it down on a test drive if its the bearings). Ring round for some quotes from other garages and get your garage to quote for it as well. You will be suprised at how much those rates can drop when you say another garage can do it for less. I have got £60/hour down to £35/hour before and I have got a price dropped by 100 notes below their 'absolute best price' after quoting other garages prices. ;)

GSRed,
I have shown restraint regarding the other matter (down boy! :blush: sheshh some people! ;) Now I know why I said I wasn't going to post on here anymore :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
hh6,
As I remember the reference is in the e5 workshop manual. If not then it is in the handbook that comes with the car.
I do not have the manuals in front of me at the moment but will confirm this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah sometimes it's a bit hard to select gears when cold but it takes a few changes only and everything is OK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Checked through the workshop manauls. service intervals are not in there as far as i can see.

Owner's handbook states inspect at 12000 miles, change at 24000.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
oli

Exactly what my Owners Handbook says . That is if you can read it below the Ralliart UK sticker saying that the service requirements are different for a UK car!

Just look at the basic service intervals they are not 4,500 miles! Guess they need presenting on someones website.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I stand corrected, and apologise for giving any mis-information about the location of any information.

The only reference to lube service intervals I could find in the workshop/technical manuals is for the AYC fluid.This was on page 8-37 of the E5 technical information manual. This info as far as I can see is not in the e6 manual.
The gearbox and transmission oil replacement intervals are given only in the Owner's handbook (no mention of AYC fluid here).
page 9-4 of the maintenance section recommends a change interval of 40,000km or 24,000 miles as per the diff oil.

The location of the filler and drain plugs are not given in the e6 manuals, you need to refer to the E5 Workshop manual.
The amount of oil required is 2.8l and it specifies DIA QUEEN Multi gear oil 75W/85W .
But if that is the sh!te they put in at the factory, I aint surprised that the bearings fail.And there's no way that its 75W-85
it is way too thin!

Try Castrol SMX 80W/90

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
HH6, thanks for the warning, have now got myself some Castrol Syntrax Universal. Do you need a proper oil syringe to get the oil in the box or can you use the pull out tube on the bottles? I'm also taking the opportunity of wacking in some Slick50 (and into the engine).

It's this sort of thing that we will miss when your gone ..... must go now as i'm filling up with tears ....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It ought to be pointed out that Evos are not the only performance cars that schedule transmission fluid changes at 45,000 miles.

Porsches are at 48,000 miles, Imprezas 50,000 miles etc.

Stop scaremongering without hard evidence.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have been told the reason for the early gearbox bearing failures (second hand from Ralliart) and I am just checking with my experts to see if it makes sense. It is not gearbox oil related HOWEVER changing the gearbox oil at 9,000 miles is still VERY important to do and doesn't change what has been discussed before.

Oil Goon,
Changing the gearbox oil on the Evo is probably the easiest one I have ever had to do! You don't even need to jack up the car if you slide under from the front (although you might if you are on the larger side of slim but I know you aren't ;) ). Refillling is also very easy and quick because you can insert the outstretched nozzle of the bottle in the hole then rotate the bottle around next to the intercooler to let it flow in (with a squeeze). It makes a change being able to empty the whole bottle in the gearbox without spilling a drop or having a bit left over you can't squeeze from the bottle!
Just a little tip they never tell you in any manuals, underdo the filler plug before the drain plug for 2 reasons. a) The oil will drain out quicker when you undo the drain plug and b) If you find you cannot undo the filler plug for whatever reason then at least you can leave it for the garage to do and you can still drive the car, if you have already openned the drain plug and let the oil out and then find you can't open the filler plug then you are stuffed!
Common sense really and being mechanically experienced I am sure you know that tip but its worth repeating.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
SteveP,
I am sorry but you are flying in the face of the majority of people I have spoken to including Motorsports companies and even my local Ralliart dealer I spoke to today. 45,000 miles is WAY too long to wait to change your gearbox oil on any Evo or come to that any high performance car. For the sake of an extra £30 every 9,000 miles for peace of mind then I know what I would do. According to people on here even the Ralliart UK Owners Manual states the change point is 24,000 miles, not exactly ideal but at least it is a lot more realistic than 45,000 miles.
Of course if you want to wait to 45,000 miles then that is entirely up to you.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
service on my fq300

36000 mile service

done 17 10 2006

at Ralliart dealer.

Hummingbird bird motors.

london.

as listed on invoice.

- magnatec gtx synth 5w-40. obv.

- ATF SPIII ATM-AYC OIL

- Transfer box/lsd/diff (i presume they mean oil )

- Manual transmission oil : )

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.