Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So two questions:

What is the impact on handling of removing the rear spoiler on an Evo VII. Mainly day-to-day driving, a few blasts here and there and maybe 6x300mile (x2) motorway trips a year? (at times topping 120 mph)

Also, what impact on handling would having lowering springs (eibach) on the front (bilstein B6) and standard springs (std shocks) on the rear?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Well it generates a lot of downforce at evo speeds so it will affect it :handsup:

What are you doing 120mph on the road for would be my first question? I wouldn't do that sustained on a motorway with other people on the road in ANY car.

Had mine up to nearly 150mph on a test track for nearly 8 miles with no-one else to hit and the concentration required was knackering!

Plus you have a GT-A which IF and when it all goes south all you have is brakes because the Auto box won't let you shift down at too high a speed for the revs if you REALLY needed to and give you engine braking. I know I've driven one.

I wouldn't have "mix and match" suspension components either.

(sorry but you did ask)

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,826 Posts
What is the impact on handling of removing the rear spoiler on an Evo VII. Mainly day-to-day driving, a few blasts here and there and maybe 6x300mile (x2) motorway trips a year? (at times topping 120 mph)
You'll need to be going pretty fast to start noticing a difference. A corner that you could take at 120 with the spoiler you'll only be able to take at 115.

Also, what impact on handling would having lowering springs (eibach) on the front (bilstein B6) and standard springs (std shocks) on the rear?

Thanks
If you don't know what you're doing, just leave the car alone.

Well it generates a lot of downforce at evo speeds so it will affect it :handsup:
Not really, it's more of a spoiler than a wing.

What are you doing 120mph on the road for would be my first question?
Beißen nicht.

·
Premium Member
20,559 Posts
I must question thine sanity , rich coming from me ;):mhihi:
Going for the hunkered down front end look ? And we know of thine fondness of spoilerless boot .....i reckon it would be fine , but id just say that contemplating you meeting a fiery death :lol:
120kph you meant i know :rolleyes:
Go forth and delve i say ( those Blitz suspenders not a viable keep ?? )
much digression ...

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Personally I think it looks **** took mine off and nearly threw up each to there own tho

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
So two questions:

Thanks
Seems to be more and more complete tools owning Evos these days.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, so much negativity. Fair play to you all.

It never ceases to amaze me that a person cannot simply ask a question without being labelled a "tool" or being told to step away from Evo ownership - to which I say fûçk you both.

Also fully aware Mitsubishi invested millions in r&d on the Evo platform - for rallying.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
It's unlikely a spoiler like those found on Evos will create much in the way of downforce, but you will likely see more lift at high speed without one.
On top of that, a spoiler will normally improve airflow and drag coefficient, so mpg and high speed performance will be better with one.

This is all generally speaking however, I've never really seen air flow performance specific to Evos

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Wow, so much negativity. Fair play to you all.

It never ceases to amaze me that a person cannot simply ask a question without being labelled a "tool" or being told to step away from Evo ownership - to which I say fûçk you both.

Also fully aware Mitsubishi invested millions in r&d on the Evo platform - for rallying.
Some interesting responses :handsup:

WRT only lowering the front, would I be right to assume this is because of the front looking higher than the rear? If so, that's how it's meant to be- look at the skirts in relation the ground and you'll see that they're level. I believe someone quoted that the front should be at least 5mm higher (measured centre of wheel to arch lip) but ideally between 10 and 20mm for optimal front to rear balance as ride height(s) is a common issue when installing coilovers.

Mixing and matching springs isn't a good idea IMO. If you want to play with heights get coilovers and adjust away.

If you do lower it would be wise to have a 4 wheel alignment done. Also when refitting the fronts, be aware there are camber bolts that hold the shock to the wheel upright/ hub- make sure they're fitted the same on both sides.

As for the spoiler, one way to find out. If you want it off, take it off. But be aware at higher speeds it may cause problems.

It's your car so do what you want- and if you do it wrong there will likely be an expensive lesson learnt :angel:

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
Mitsubishi developed the E7 and it's suspension and aerodynamics for road and track use.

If you mess around with either without knowing what you're doing, you risk making the car slower and dangerous to drive.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Removing the oem rear spoiler will change nothing in the way the car handles, apart from the exception of losing that insignificant amount of downforce at the rear end of the car you gain with it on, after 200+ km per hour, which actually affects nothing. Measuring the kg of downforce (aerodynamic thrust force), under certain conditions and measuring equipment will show that there is a certain respectable amount created, which is though not enough to affect and make any significant difference to the evo's stability.
If you wish to aid the rear spoiler in its downforce distribution, add a vortex generator on the rear end of the roof of the car.

Now on the other hand, if you do not know how to improve the car's suspension setup and handling, go to someone who does to sort it out for you. Changing the front springs alone, reducing ride height, thus the shock absorber's characteristics, travel/bound and rebound mainly, will add an over-steer and a "lose" end effect to the car's handling.

If you want to improve the handling for the road, use a set of quality lowering springs, thus improving the relationship between the car's center of gravity and the road surface, designed in relation to ( coil wire diameter, material, overall length) the oem shock absorber (in turns designed in relation to the type and amount of un-sprung mass it is carrying), on slightly harder rates, and a good alignment adjustment of the oem suspension setup.

Marios

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Changing the front springs alone, reducing ride height, thus the shock absorber's characteristics, travel/bound and rebound mainly, will add an over-steer and a "lose" end effect to the car's handling.

Marios
actually, a set of lowering springs on front alone will probably bring understeer..

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
actually, a set of lowering springs on front alone will probably bring understeer..
No it won't. What I say is after test and trial, I never rely just on the theory/ science behind anything, and even that in this case states in favor of over-steer. In a simple sentence, there is negative camber change.

Marios

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
No it won't. What I say is after test and trial, I never rely just on the theory/ science behind anything, and even that in this case states in favor of over-steer. In a simple sentence, there is negative camber change.

Marios
plot wheel travel vs camber, choose a point with a lowered car, re set the camber so that you have something that is ok to drive with, then see what happens in bump.. ( I know because I have that data)

also, having stiffer springs in front usually brings understeer..

the answer to the OP, dont mix various sets of springs unless you can afford to do it over and over again..

1 - 20 of 253 Posts