Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Greddy catch can recently. But there are so many varying ways of setting it up that it makes me wonder if to bother putting it in at all.

I have read that some say it could cause detonation to run it as the standard setup (i.e Breather to can, then to intake pipe)

But shouldn't this be still better than actually leaving it in the original setup? Wouldn't you get detonation with the OEM piping the same way?

I don't want to vent it to atmosphere... and I'm not too sure on the PCV valve to can, then to the intake maifold setup...

Anyway I'm just blabbling... putting it simply

- Is installing the catch can in standard form better than just having it stock?

- Will you get detonation with the standard catch can setup as opposed to stock?

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
From what I've read, a lot will depend on the catch can as well.

If it's not baffled, then it's not doing much more than looking pretty as the vast majority of the oil vapour will just continue on its route straight through the catch can and out the other side.

Have a look at the Saikou DC3 cans and website to see what some people consider to be the "best" catch can set up.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
failure to vent the breather will gum up your dump valve piston on many aftermarket BOVs too.

mine is just vented out back of the block via some hosing.....made a big difference to keeping the intake and BOV cleaner :)

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
You don't need to vent the breather on the DC3 though: it's designed to condense the oil vapour inside the can by passing it through wire wool/baffling before it can get to the outlet. So the idea is that the catch can actually traps (most of) the oil inside it, unlike other cans which simply suck it in and blow it out again.

I understand that venting to atmosphere is also not ideal on catch cans, as you lose suction from connecting the breather pipe to the induction as with the stock set up.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
If the OE oil separater is working, there's little point in replacing it. If it's not, give it a clean out with petrol.

If it's functioning as it should and you're getting a lot of oil in your intake pipe, you've got bigger issues to worry about as oil, in large quantities, is getting past your piston rings. That means it's time for a rebuild.

It's probably worth replacing if you're producing high power levels as the pressure of blowby gasses will be higher. The stock set up might not cope.

The overwhelming reason to change the set up though, if it's not working well, is to stop oil getting into the intake system. This is more for its affect on diluting the octane rating of your fuel, as much as the mess it makes.

As the learned youngsyr has said, if you do replace it, buy the correct one, that does what it's supposed to do. Otherwise you're wasting your money.

Paul

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If the OE oil separater is working, there's little point in replacing it. If it's not, give it a clean out with petrol.

If it's functioning as it should and you're getting a lot of oil in your intake pipe, you've got bigger issues to worry about as oil, in large quantities, is getting past your piston rings. That means it's time for a rebuild.

It's probably worth replacing if you're producing high power levels as the pressure of blowby gasses will be higher. The stock set up might not cope.

The overwhelming reason to change the set up though, if it's not working well, is to stop oil getting into the intake system. This is more for its affect on diluting the octane rating of your fuel, as much as the mess it makes.

As the learned youngsyr has said, if you do replace it, buy the correct one, that does what it's supposed to do. Otherwise you're wasting your money.

Paul
What OE oil separator?????:confused:

Pretty sure there is not one,the pipe on the rear left of rocker cover is where the majority of the engine breathing fumes exit the rocker cover,and this is just a pipe straight to inlet manifold,deffo no separater;)

The small pipe that goes to the inlet pipe between air filter and turbo is the inlet for air to be sucked threw rocker cover when the engine inlet is in vacuum:smthumbup

Although it does double up as a breather pipe when the one way valve on the rear of rocker cover is closed;)

Hence why the Saikou Michi can has two separate cans:coolsm:

Got one on mine,never get any oil in the can that is connected to the small front pipe off rocker cover,but do get oil/moisture in the one connected to the main breather exit pipe off the rear of rocker cover,so it works:smthumbup

http://www.saikoumichi.com/DC3_page.htm

:mitsi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts