Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just found that my mate is using the fully comp insurance for a car he NO LONGER OWNS to drive ALL his friends cars!! :eek: He's a barman and after work he drives regulars home if they've drunk too much for a bit of cash. When i questioned him he said he still has 9 months left on an insurance policy for a peugeot 306 1.6 diesel he has scrapped and that this allows him to drive any other car with the drivers permission. I'm sure this is totally illegal, or am i mad? Even if you had a valid insurance policy for a shi**y 1.6 diesel it wouldn't cover you to drive a more powerful or expensive car would it? Should i tell the people who let him drive their cars what they're risking?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The fact that he no longer owns the car is the only factor that makes it illegal as this will invalidate the insurance.

Otherwise if he still had the car then yes if he has a drive any car clause he would be covered to drive whatever he likes as long as he does not own the car and someone is insuring it for there own use (also the cover will only be the minimum 3rd party cover as required by law so if he crashed then the car proberbly wouldn't be covered)

Edited to add: Fully comp doesn't automatically cover you to drive any car (on the flip side my insurer added drive any car to the TPFT policy on my 1.4 Renault Clio for £20)

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
I've just found that my mate is using the fully comp insurance for a car he NO LONGER OWNS to drive ALL his friends cars!! :eek: He's a barman and after work he drives regulars home if they've drunk too much for a bit of cash. When i questioned him he said he still has 9 months left on an insurance policy for a peugeot 306 1.6 diesel he has scrapped and that this allows him to drive any other car with the drivers permission. I'm sure this is totally illegal, or am i mad? Even if you had a valid insurance policy for a shi**y 1.6 diesel it wouldn't cover you to drive a more powerful or expensive car would it? Should i tell the people who let him drive their cars what they're risking?
Tell him to read the small print of his contract. It'll probably mention the small detail about the insurance only being valid if you still own the car.

As for telling them...I certainly would but they'll probably be too p**sed to care :D

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If he takes "a bit of cash" to drive them home it will also void the insurance, most insurance companies arent stupid and find everything out when a claim is made

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just confirms what i thought, bad lad :( i'm tempted to tell the regulars cos i got hit by an uninsured driver a few years back and it was a massive hassle for the owner of the car he was driving. I also feel guilty knowing about the situation if he was to hit an innocent driver or worse, a pedestrian! Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
taking money means hire and reward and that alone would invalidate most policies unless commercially endorsed to cover it.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
i had a mate who did this on his car he still had the car but it was not on the road he got stop a few times and all was ok with the police

i also have it on my evo so long as the car im driving is insurred its k for me to drive any car.

ive had it for years and its 1 point i make sure i have when i take out new insurance

john

·
GT CLUB DADDYS HOME
11,879 Posts
You also need to be over 25 for the drive any car fully comp to work. If your under 25 you cant have it :shake:
no you dont mate some insurance will let u drive any thing

i have done this ma self in the past got some one else to buy the car for me insure it in there name i pay it and i drove it and i insured a run about and i saved over 1400 pound

all i had to do was leave it out side his bit over night not a problem as he just stayed up the street:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
i have done this ma self in the past got some one else to buy the car for me insure it in there name i pay it and i drove it and i insured a run about and i saved over 1400 pound
Why doesn't this surprise me.

You do know that it is fraud don't you?

Andy

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
no you dont mate some insurance will let u drive any thing

all i had to do was leave it out side his bit over night not a problem as he just stayed up the street:smthumbup
And you phoned the insurance company and got the verbal confirmation that what you were doing was perfectly ok and you were legally covered?

·
GT CLUB DADDYS HOME
11,879 Posts
And you phoned the insurance company and got the verbal confirmation that what you were doing was perfectly ok and you were legally covered?
did not need to phone no one because nothing to do with me i only bought ma pal a scooby that i used

·
Administrator
29,344 Posts
not fraud totally legal what i done

i was just a good mate that bought ma pal a car that i drove:smthumbup
That is fraud and totally illegal.

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
you can't just say its fraud. depends on his policy. some policy's do allow you to drive any other car 3rd party on your fully comp insurance as long as the car is its self insured by its owner

·
GT CLUB DADDYS HOME
11,879 Posts
am not caring i would have be hard to prove that i owned the car and that it was fraud

plus i was only 18 had a scooby cany beat it

1 - 20 of 99 Posts