Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was told the other day by a friend of mine (who has a healthy knowledge of all things motory) that the large square number plate fitted to the front of my VI is illegal. I can't believe that it could be supplied if it was. He recons that the speed cameras can't read that configuration?

Is he talkin bo**ox or what..If its true can Mitsi be sued for supplying goods that are not fit for purpose..blah blah blah.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was under the impression that the plates are only illegal if they have not got a BS number on them and if you have distorted the letters to make them look like something different to your reg number.

Apparantly the BS number tells the plods who supplied the plates.

If they can read the numbers at the required distances - whats the problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I have answered my own question...we are safe I think?

<a href|EQU| http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/plates.htm target|EQU| _blank > click here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand them wanting to crack done on the wombles who think its really good to distort the letters or try to make words that just arent there - but as to the size of the plate - as long as it can be read as what it is, whats the prob?

(Must confess that the plate that I used to have on back of my RGV was rather small with quite a rude slogan under it)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the BS number is to do with British Standards, not to do with who made up and supplied the plates. The theory is that the BS number appears on the plate because the plate conforms to that standard. However, mine doesn't conform and still have the number on so it's really only theoretical.

I believe that the fuzz are starting to crack down on the companies who make the plates illegally, no doubt so that all plates will be standard and therefore easily readable by revenue generating, sorry, safety conscious, gatsos and the like.

If I'm wrong (usually am with these things! :)) then anybody just feel free to flame me.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a fun little 2 stroke screamer...how many times did it break down/ was it a 250 or the big 500 monster?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Davy T

The BS numbers vary depending on who supplied them, its a way of tracing the supplies.

Rob VI

It was a 250 and it never broke down, just needed there to be a petrol station every 70 miles!!! Hubby had a GSXR 750 at the same time - loads of fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would like to point out that not many speed cameras are going to catch your front number plate . i have thinner letters on the front plate and have been seen from the traffic police a few times and they havent stopped me . my back one has the proper spacing and letter size. but as of 1st sept there is now only one type of lettering you are suppossed to use front and back. but if you have a VI then you only have space for a smaller square plate so you have to use it .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will be a very interesting day if someone tries to do me for a standard E6 front plate, I may have to growl at them if they try

GRrrrrrrrrr

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been done for the spacing of the letters on my plate. which in my opinion and others was ok. the copper never said anything about the size of the actuall plate,but I have since been told that the front plate is illegal due to the size of the characters which are the same as a motorcycle and I think this is the same on all 6's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Original Post:
i would like to point out that not many speed cameras are going to catch your front number plate .
Better watch out negri, SPECS and Truvelo (sp?) do, and neither of these can be detected by Radar/Laser detectors, only GPS or eyeballs.

Martin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts