Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that my discs are also warped???

Garage put some locking wheel nuts on a few weeks ago and since then had vibrations when braking from 80mph... now if they over tightened the locking wheels nuts am i correct in assuming they may have bent the hubs ?

If so.. does this mean that my discs are now shot OR will i just be able to get new hubs and everything disc wise maybe ok ??

Anybody ??

Jevo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are you sure it is just under braking and not all the time but gets worse when braking?

Don't condemn your hubs and discs straight away always look to see if its the cheapest option! The first thing I would try is to take off the locking wheel nuts and put back on your original nuts (remembering the correct tightening sequence and torque for the wheels). A locking wheel nut may not weigh the same as your other wheel nuts therefore it may make your wheel out of balance causing vibration at speed. Admittedly it shouldn't make a lot of difference but never the less it could be just enough to upset it. (Mk1 MR2's were prone to vibration which could be cured simply by rotating the wheel one or 2 studs around on the hub, weird but true http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) If you still get a problem then try rotating the wheels (put the rear ones on the front) and if there still is a problem only then consider that the hubs may possibly have been damaged.

Hubs seemed to be damaged by tightening the wheel nuts incorrectly i.e. fully tightening just one nut at a time and not half torquing them up first. If your hubs are warped then eventually your discs will warp but not necessarily straight away. When cold the discs will not bend very easily but once warm they form to what ever metal they are clamped too and if that metal is distorted then the disc will also distort. You need to get the run-out (flatness) of the hub checked using a dial gauge. If the run-out is greater than 0.05mm then your hubs are out of tolerance and need replacing any subsequent discs you fit to a distorted hub will warp no matter what they are. If your hubs are warped then your discs will also be warped but they probably can be reused if you get them skimmed (machining the surface flat again).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HH6,

Cheers for that.. i'll have a go this weekend and see what happens... its into the garage on monday for some other stuff so i will get them to check the hubs out whilst they are looking at the discs... I assume this can be done on the car ?

Jevo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might want to check the locking nuts are the right type.

There are two sorts, one with a flat washer, another with a dished washer. The flat ones fit EVOs fine, the dished ones can cause wheel wobble, apparently.

Regards

Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they were fitted by a Mitsy dealer so i'm hoping they are the correct ones... doh !!

Jevo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both sorts of locking nuts are supplied by Mitsui dealers.

They fit the Shogun apparently, and are the same part number. If the dealer hasn't come across the problem, he won't know to use the flat ones...

Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.