Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately i'm experiencing idling problem on my E4 GSR especially in the morning. i had Blitz Super Sound BOV installed earlier and thought this gave me the idling problem. later, i replaced with HKS SQV BOV (complete with E4 mounting kit) and had no engine stalling problem for the next 2 weeks or so. recently, the erratic idling problem is back again and thought HKS SQV has sorted out this problem!! warmed up the engine for 5mins before going to work every morning but the engine tends to stall (rpm dropped below 500!!) during traffic stop and slow gear shift. i noticed the rpm needle dropped pretty quickly on each gear shift, is this normal?! if not, what could be wrong then?! some told me to check-n-clean the carboned FICD (something to do with the idling controller when the air-cond unit is turned on) which is located near the throttle body. how should i get about troubleshooting it myself?! the worst part is, this doesn't happen all the time ie. in the afternoon after work or at nite, it seems ok tho' - kinda intermittent!! your help is very much appreciated.

S.K. Lee, E4 GSR

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there,

I also have an EVO 4 GSR. I have the Blitz Dual Drive BOV. I also have idling problems, but my idle never seems to fall below 600-650rpm. It has never stalled...but it does sound really *sick* sometimes and sounds as if it's about to stall. I replaced the BOV with a Turbosmart one temporarily and nothing changed! The idling problems only occured after installing the GReddy Profec B boost controller. The boost has been turned up a bit, but I have tried to tighten the spring in the BOV as tight as it can - still problems. Like you, my problems are erratic. I have not heard about this FICD...but could be worth a shot. Anyway, if you manage to fix ur problem...be sure to reply back - then maybe I can fix up my problem too :)

Although, I think this is quite 'normal' for all cars with a VTA BOV. Just something we have to settle with I guess? Anyone got any ideas? I'm still asking around for help - if I succeed, I'll be sure to tell you :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you tried HKS EIDS Type-K (Idling Stabilizer) which is recommended if you install HKS SQV?! some had this installed and doesn't seem to help either. do you think the stock spark plugs (never replaced since 1997 when i got the car from Japan) will lead to erratic idling |PLS| stalling the engine?! just bought a set of Denso Iridium plugs, part no. IW22 (U-groove, 0.4mm tip, 0.8mm gap) which is a direct substitute for our stock NGK PGR7A platinum plugs. confirmed this in their Denso website.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what mod have you got on your e4??? I had this problem when I changed the exhurst and de-cat and induction kit. I have took my car to RC and they say its the dump valve, so after that I put the standard one back on since and the problem solved. try to but the standard one on and see what happens but you will loose the wwwwwssssshhhhhh sound miss that sound :) also if that still happens, get an apexi afc-r, they are good.

leon. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm, guess you're right!! i had this problem after fitting the K and amp;N induction kit, APEXi N1 catback exhaust |PLS| 3 decat pipe and Blitz Super Sound SQV (replaced with HKS SQV now but doesn't help to solve the idling/stalling problem either). will replace the old stock plugs first (with Denso Iridium IW22 plugs) and see if this helps. if not, keep trying on the adjustment screw behind the SQV otherwise will try installing HKS EIDS Type-K which claim to help stabilize the idling on our EVOs. has anyone tried this before?!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

I myself have not personally used the HKS idle stabilizer, but I have heard that it works. Even so, there still is a problem (I believe). The main reason why your car would be stalling is because the BOV is actually slightly open when idling. This causes a leak in pressure and causes the revs to drop (correct me if I'm wrong). Now, even if the problem is solved with the HKS idle stabilizer, you would still be losing pressure (maybe just 1-2psi). This means that your turbo has to work harder to achieve a certain level of boost. So, the car is less efficient.

I think all cars with BOVs are prone to leaking pressure. But I guess a good reason for one is for the cool sound! :) Also, they release air which would otherwise return back to the turbo and hence slow down the turbine. This is bad as it results in an increase in lag, and also leads to compressor surge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is y I put my standard bov back. cuz of the dump valve problem. I have spoken to RC development when I had the problem. they told me that even their 400bhp evo doesnt have a dump valve in it. so its a bit of wast of money just for the sound. but I miss the sound... :(

leon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll always get a difference in how the car idles when a dump valve is fitted, as mine used to stall also. However, at present (with it's Blitz NUR Spec, Blitz Induction and SPEC R BOV) it's been fine as my mechanic has adjusted the idling speed slightly (not noticeable). However, If I give it some and and drop it into neutral, the revs will drop to about 500rpm before the ECU catches it and puts it back to where it should be. It's only ever not caught it and stalled a couple of times, but then again, I was trying to make it do it!

The other solution was a stronger spring in the BOV, but it would depend on which model you have and if this can be adjusted. Try getting the idling speed tweaked. It worked for me. I'd rather have the noise and a small amount of inconvenience than not!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
idling speed adjustment?! where is this thingy located?! is it the Philip screw covered by the small round rubber cap near the intake manifold?! my car currently idles at 850rpm, how much higher should i adjust it ie. 900rpm, 950rpm?! i've got an APEXi RSM, suppose this could help to show the exact idling point...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've no idea where or how he adjusted it! Anything to do with my cars engine is always entrusted to my mechanic. My car idles at about 950rpm from memory, so that might work for you. Idling speed adjustment is normally changed via a screw or something similar, but I wouldn't like to say if that was what you've found!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.