Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Recently I had a GReddy Profec B boost controller installed into my EVO4 Lancer. LOW setting at 0.8bar and HIGH setting to 1.1bar. I have a blitz BOV too - the newer version. The problem is that my mechanic said the BOV is actually slightly open during idle. Thus (I am guessing), it is leaking pressure and hence my idle has dropped. It usually sits around 850rpm. But now, it drops to 800rpm. If I put the air conditioning on, it can drop to 650rpm! So, I had the BOV tightened to maximum. The car now idles OK, but as the BOV is on the tightest setting, it rarely blows off. This is quite annoying as it's like I don't have a VTA BOV at all!!

My question is. Does anyone have similar problems? Or is it just the Blitz BOV? Are there any other BOVs that are better? I've heard that the Japanese type BOVs have soft springs and thus are harder to blow off . Someone please help.

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
akct,
IMHO the best thing for you to do would be to refit the original recirculating BOV and you won't get the same problems at idle as you have with your VTA because the air that it lets past will have already passed the air flow meter and it will still blow off at the required pressure. The other option is to go for the HKS SSQV VTA which I believe overcomes the idle problem by using a dual spring system to make sure that it doesn't leak at idle.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Get the idle air stabilisation control stepper motor checked out (and the wiring/connectors). (ISC valve)

It sounds strange that when the AC is on the idle drops even lower as the ECU should adjust the stepper motor to compensate for the extra load.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
akct...
I spoke to HKS(the Japanese bloke not the other goons) at the Autosport show about idle problems,he told me that there can be a problem on all cars with the blow off valve.He said if there were problems the easiest way to fix it was the HKS electronic idle stabilser.
I did notice on the Blow off valve they had there the box had something on it about this electronic idle control,so it could be your best bet.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
The easiest way to fix it is to not fit a VTA in the first place and leave the original recirculating BOV in place and you won't get any idle problems.... :)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Original Post:
He said if there were problems the easiest way to fix it was the HKS electronic idle stabilser.
Is there anything HKS don't make a little box for? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys,

Thanks heaps for all your replies. Sorry, if I wasn't all that clear in my initial post...I only sometimes get idle problems. Most of the time the car idles around 800-850 rpm. Only sometimes will the revs drop to around 750ish for a while, and then pick up to 800|PLS| rpm. It's kinda strange...a fluctuating idle. I have heard lots about these problems when installing a VTA BOV. I guess I may need to obtain an idle stabilizer like the HKS one.

At the moment, I am not too concerned about it. The only problem that I am concerned is whether or not I am leaking pressure (boost)? I want to avoid any leaks as it just hampers engine performance. For the people out there with similar problems, what have you done to resolve the situation? Should I be overly concerned? Or should I just go along with my future mods as usual?

I don't think the problem is my BOV because I took out the Blitz BOV and put in a Turbosmart one. I still had the same problem. Unless the Turbosmart BOV is stuffed too - which I doubt. Therefore, I am assuming that I have a leak from somewhere else? I have checked all hose connections that concern boost/pressure or vacuum, I can't find any leak!?

Very strange...someone PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
As lightspeed says idle speed control motor, Get it checked at your mitsi dealer about a 5 min job.
common fault when you change spec of car

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts