Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and not just from the car!

I would like to lose more weight. I know more weight can be lost from the bonnet/boot by using carbon, but I think unpainted large carbon panels look silly, and once prepared/painted it is almost as heavy as aluminium anyway. Replacing steel panels makes alot of sense but I can't imagine what gains I would get.

Front/rear bumper, door panels and front wings seem good candidates - guess it would need to be Kevlar so it could be painted. Prospeed claim to make these, but does anyone know who else makes these?

Lexan windows are a (horrible) option to replace the glass...

The car is well stripped, but has alot of extra weight too (extinguishers, roll cage, strut braces etc.) All sound deadening is out - as is aircon. 2 of the electric window regs are out too. All interior replaced with carbon except dash (could get this done in flocked carbon :p)...

Nothing much else 2 come out - heater matrix? I almost never use the heater, particularly if towing.... would that really save much weight?

Can anyone else think of weight reduction ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tone,
U've done all the easy stuff , now yr in2 stuff like all the cast iron suspension parts , engine and transmission mounts , removing extranious brackets and fabricating any non structural steel stuff in aluminium , bring it 2 me M8 , leave it here 4 about 2-3 weeks and collect it with 50kg knocked out and £xxxxxxx's from yer wallet :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not from the car??? try the Atkins diet, someone I know has gone from 16|PLS| stone to 13 in and amp;lt;6months without problems.

On bikes you can always make the biggest reductions from the rider not the frame, but there is more frame on a car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Original Post:
Not from the car??? try the Atkins diet, someone I know has gone from 16|PLS| stone to 13 in and amp;lt;6months without problems.
Yes Atkins works, thus the link above.

But hey, Tony, dont just buy their protein powders and flour replacements for cakes :D, follow the dietary recommendations! :D
Some (more) sex would help too, but hey, not the usual thing you always keep telling me about, make an effort! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blade,

Are the rear doors completely empty with only a small ally bracket holding the window up?

Replace the exhaust with a fabricated titanium one.

The only big easy weight saving would be to replace all the glass with lexan, it depends if you are really serious about losing weight or worried about looks.

If you carefully analyse every aspect of the car you can always improve on just about every part, but this is very time consuming and would cost a bomb for somebody else to do it.

The cheapest way to lose weight is go on a diet, that is if you are overweight to start with. I don't know how much you weigh so I couldn't comment. I weigh 70KG ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Evoboy - mail me off line and give me an idea of what you can do.

I already have Powerflex engine and gearbox mounts and all sound deadening has been removed.

How much weight would lexan save Clive? I have electric winders in the rear door panels still. I don't believe it is possible to remove the door bars. I do drop the rear windows to fit the carbon air vents. Of course if I had lexan that wouldn't be necessary
The rear water bottle has been removed as has all the air con bits. What about heater matrix? Worth while?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Incidentally - I am a fat ******* at 121kgs. However I am 6ft 3 (190 cm) and large boned. Probably I should be around 95kgs, so I could lose about 25kgs from my arse :D

I guess Lexan would save about 25kgs
Kevlar body panels around another 40kgs

The rear diff hanger and hubs could all be ally - probably save about 20kgs
Exhaust would be around 10kgs I think

Various other bits would probably net another 30kgs. So that could be 125 kgs not including my arse!

Guessing the car weighs 1200kgs now (corner weighting this week, so will know 4 sure) - that would give me a weight around 1100kgs, even without lexan.

Mmmm - that is like another 50bhp.
How light could the EVO go down to? Surely no less than 1100kgs???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about a totally extreme technique.................................................strip the car 2 a bare shell , strip the paint then ACID DIP IT !!!
The amount of metal removed depends on how long in the acid.
Seriously this method was developed and used by the Germans , can't recall if it was Merc or whoever , but susequently it has been used by other makers and teams.
Then repaint the shell with a known weight of paint as per Ralliart works cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Original Post:
he probably has one to get his big arse in :)

lee
Lee, you're a bitch! http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Although you could be right... :D LOL

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.