Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As HDi dealers we have in stock Hybrid GT2 Spec Intercooler kits for Evo 4,5,6,7,8 & 9.

Hybrid / HDi GT2 Spec Intercooler

Dimensions: 790mm x 80mm x 280mm
Frontal surface area: 22,120 cm2
Type: Tube and fin. Traverse fins, seamless endtanks.
Pressure Drop: 0.2 PSI
Approx Weight: 5.4kg
Current BHP applications: 850bhp
Kit Price: £499
Core Price: £399

Introductory price is just £499 in order to get these out there and documented. Price includes VAT.

BUY ONLINE: http://www.superhids.co.uk/hybrid-hdi-front-mount-intercooler-kits-fmics-.html

Great quality, cores are second to none. Forget manufacturer bhp ratings for a moment and look at real world figures of what intercoolers are actually doing - these cores can be found on competitive 850bhp Time Attack Pro cars, season after season as testament to the quality and capabilities.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These have landed. Expecting them to be with us for next week.

Discount for the first customer of each fitment (fitment 1 = 4/5/6, fitment 2 = 7/8/9).

Contact us for pricing. Very nice piece of kit.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
These are £510 in order to get these out there and documented. Price includes VAT.

We've sold these for a number of years on Impreza's with great success so thought we would bring them over for the EVO's also.

I believe RichW had one on his car and was very happy with it. We've had these cores on 850bhp cars running Time Attack (.

Tel: 01462 600241

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why these intercoolers are the first choice of the experts:

High Quality Finish:

Award winning, innovative, patented clamps:

Attention to detail, quality welds, patented locking nuts, traverse tube and fin:

Clean and smooth internals for maximum flow:

Unique lightweight Hybrid hose clamps:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shipped first of the kits out today. Am looking forward to pics and results.

These core really are second to none.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They really are high end pieces of kit being sold at a fraction of what you would think they would be worth.

It's why high end build choose you use them over other much more expensive coolers.

Rather than quote you the manufacturer numbers, I can tell you these coolers can handle a pasting all day long on track cars, one of our supplied cars is at over 850bhp.

Lightweight, low pressure drop.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
As things stand, I'm hanging on for an ETS because all I've seen are good results with them. Better, in fact, than anything else I can find out there.

How do these compare with a 3.5'' ETS on a 9 say, as the ETS seems to give about 25 hp more on a circa 400 brake car?

Do you have any info about comparisons with a stock cooler?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I purchased on of these kits from Bob so Im writing a quick review of my experience

Bob has been more than helpfull and communication has been great :smthumbup

The kit itself is on par with kits over twice the price IMO, the intercooler is manufactured to a very high standard along with the intercooler pipes, brackets, silicone joiners and stainless t-clamps

Here are a few pics of how I received the kit

The kit comes with an HDI stencil so it would be rude not to

First thing was to remove the front bumper and under tray

OEM intercooler and pipework removed

New intercooler installed with brackets provided (to make enough clearance for the evo 8 front bumper to go on I had to space intercooler an inch and a bit downwards but I expected a bit of adjustment when fitting a bigger cooler)

All intercooler pipework installed and secured (it will help to keep everything loose and test fit the bumper first so that pipework can be adjusted to suit)

Front bumper back on ( the undertray will need cut to make clearance for the bottom of the intercooler but it can still be secured)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As things stand, I'm hanging on for an ETS because all I've seen are good results with them. Better, in fact, than anything else I can find out there.

How do these compare with a 3.5'' ETS on a 9 say, as the ETS seems to give about 25 hp more on a circa 400 brake car?

Do you have any info about comparisons with a stock cooler?
I haven't seen them tested back to back, but I would be confident to put them up against each other if the manufacturer/distributor will pay half of the independent lab costs - in fact I'll extend that offer to any intercooler manufacturer, that how confident we are of the quality. :coolsm:

Broadly speaking there are 2 types of intercooler (tube/fin & bar/plate). On these types of cars by design tube and fin are more efficient that bar and plate. Bar and plate are better thermally due to their size and weight, but that's assuming both coolers are the same size. On these cars, the intercoolers are so big that size is not an issue whether you go for either design.

A well designed tube and fin (such as these Hybrid / HDi GT2 intercoolers) are in a league of their own is when it comes down to flow and pressure drop. Better the flow, less the restriction. Lower the pressure drop, the more power you will make at the same boost. Seamless end tanks, traverse fins and smooth internals make this one heck of a cooler, and at a very decent price too.

Comparisons:

Kit Price: £510 :coolsm:

ETS 3.5" Intercooler

Dimensions: 609mm x 88mm x 292mm
Frontal surface area: 17,782 cm2
Type: Bar and plate
Pressure Drop: 0.5 PSI
Approx weight: ? (bar and plate usually 2kgs heavier than tube and fin)
Current BHP applications: ?
Kit Price: £1000 (approx)

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Want to lend me one.......I can do a back to back against the standard item with a K-type thermocouple from the throttle body run in to a digital gauge in the car and a scangauge plugged into the OBD port which works through the standard E9 IAT. You can be there to watch it happen if you want? :D

I've done this before with another manufacturers cooler, and set the cat among the pigeons on here when the results favoured the stock cooler....the other one ( which I had already bought and paid for ) is still cast aside on the garage floor a year or so later.

Just to add, I've only priced the ETS cooler, not the kit, comes in at around £600 for the 3.5'' version, iirc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Want to lend me one.......I can do a back to back against the standard item with a K-type thermocouple from the throttle body run in to a digital gauge in the car and a scangauge plugged into the OBD port which works through the standard E9 IAT. You can be there to watch it happen if you want? :D

I've done this before with another manufacturers cooler, and set the cat among the pigeons on here when the results favoured the stock cooler....the other one ( which I had already bought and paid for ) is still cast aside on the garage floor a year or so later.

Just to add, I've only priced the ETS cooler, not the kit, comes in at around £600 for the 3.5'' version, iirc.
Out of curiosity, what intercooler did you test to find that it wasn't cooling as well as the standard cooler??

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Out of curiosity, what intercooler did you test to find that it wasn't cooling as well as the standard cooler??
Autobahn88.....to be fair, during the somewhat lively debate about the results I posted, it became apparent that AB do 2 different types, which have completely different internals to each other.

I was unlucky enough to be supplied with the crap design, and at that time had no idea the other type even existed. In fact, there is no way of knowing, even now, which type you'll be sent if you purchase one, as AB make no mention of design differences, and neither do their authorised dealers.

People who have been lucky enough to have been supplied with the other type say they perform very well when tested.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Makes sense, Im very confident that the HDI GT2 intercoolers will make a good gain over the standard setup

It would be nice to see some back to back testing tho out of interest

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Makes sense, Im very confident that the HDI GT2 intercoolers will make a good gain over the standard setup

It would be nice to see some back to back testing tho out of interest
I just won't spend on one until it's obvious it's worth the money.....no offence intended at all to the vendor here, but just saying stuff is well built and is good value, and they have every confidence, etc, etc, doesn't mean a thing to somebody who is only buying to guarantee temp reductions....I need to see data. And I can see data if I can try one! :D

I genuinely hope it's as good as they say, it would be nice if ETS had some competition!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have updated my earlier post with the key comparisons on the core from data available.

It's not a new product, these exact cores we have been using in other applications with great success for a number of years. Competitive Time Attack Pro cars do not cut corners when it comes to something so important, and if it's good enough for an 850bhp application year after year it is silly to suggest it wouldn't be any better than a OEM product. Autobahn88 are known to be rubbish intercoolers, you won't find any decent builds or track cars out there running them.

You are of course welcome to buy a kit to test it, if for any reason you are not happy, simply return within 14 days for a full refund. Have never had a kit back in the years of selling them, so I'm pretty confident you'll love it :)

For your convenience I also copy it below here:

I haven't seen them tested back to back, but I would be confident to put them up against each other if the manufacturer/distributor will pay half of the independent lab costs - in fact I'll extend that offer to any intercooler manufacturer, that how confident we are of the quality. :coolsm:

Broadly speaking there are 2 types of intercooler (tube/fin & bar/plate). On these types of cars by design tube and fin are more efficient that bar and plate. Bar and plate are better thermally due to their size and weight, but that's assuming both coolers are the same size. On these cars, the intercoolers are so big that size is not an issue whether you go for either design.

A well designed tube and fin (such as these Hybrid / HDi GT2 intercoolers) are in a league of their own is when it comes down to flow and pressure drop. Better the flow, less the restriction. Lower the pressure drop, the more power you will make at the same boost. Seamless end tanks, traverse fins and smooth internals make this one heck of a cooler, and at a very decent price too.

Comparisons:

Kit Price: £510 :coolsm:

ETS 3.5" Intercooler

Dimensions: 609mm x 88mm x 292mm
Frontal surface area: 17,782 cm2
Type: Bar and plate
Pressure Drop: 0.5 PSI
Approx weight: ? (bar and plate usually 2kgs heavier than tube and fin)
Current BHP applications: ?
Kit Price: £1000 (approx)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts