Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Im hoping to have a little discussion hear not really questions and answers type thing.
Ill give you a little back ground info before I start. I'm new to Evo ownership and absolutely love it. The responsiveness, the handling, the looks, Mega. HOWEVER a close friend recently bought an e92 M3 (lovely machine but not my taste) which is pushing over 550BHP not sure on torque. Now as much as I love the E6 and I thought stock was enough power.. After being in the M3 it just isn't.
So my thoughts are these.
At what point in chasing power and by that I'm generalising both Torque and BHP do the effects of that become counter productive for everyday / street driving. for example the fun of getting to 50 / 60 / 70mph (national speed limits of course):smthumbup on my journey to work is one of the main reasons I bought an Evo. So at what horsepower does it become too much? What point is it that the turbo LAG negates the fun of over taking etc.. Or does it ever? At what point have you created a track only monster because that's the only place you can take advantage of a large turbo and anti lag systems?

So like I said gents just thought id see if we could start a discussion based on your experiences, maybe the less experience of us on hear can gain a little guidance, save those costly mod mistakes.:mitsi:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well the Evo takes power very well being 4WD after all. Out of interest which Evo do you have?

It is quite easy to get quite a few extra horses with a 3 port solenoid and a remap.

Having 550 in the M3 is lovely and all but round a track with corners a lower powered Evo would decimate it.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Well the Evo takes power very well being 4WD after all. Out of interest which Evo do you have?

It is quite easy to get quite a few extra horses with a 3 port solenoid and a remap.

Having 550 in the M3 is lovely and all but round a track with corners a lower powered Evo would decimate it.
He has a nice Icelle Blue Fresh import VI GSR from SVA (click his 'my car' link).
I would leave it alone (but that's me) You do lose a lot of HP ATW being 4WD.

550 M3 v 300 Evo on a track would depend on the track. Open and fast - Thruxton, Combe, Silverstone I'd expect the M3 to win. Tight and twisty you may be right.

If you are having it as a road car leave it below (or near) 400/400 on a VI so many on here have regretted going above that. ££££
A really good exmple of a decent all round car on here at that figure that I have seen up close would be Carl's KarlosdaJackal. It's 'about right' on a VI.
Above that you are getting into competiion/track territory.

Anyway other question is HOW do you intend to use your car? IF you think it's a motorway cruiser, straight line machine. Wrong car. This is a rally chassis based around the rules at the time (300hp).

E92 M3 is a decent track and road weapon in the dry to be honest. Think more touring car or GT than rally car.

My advice treat the EVO as an EVO and leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hia mate. Evo 6 GSR.
Yeah that's the thing I'd take the standard evo 6 all day over the M3 but then its not really about the M3 as such. I'm definitely going to start increasing the overall performance of the Evo however a ride in Z German machine just sparked the thought as to how far you can take it before it becomes counter productive. Is there a crossover point where unless your blazing anti lag the turbo is just too big to spool up quickly enough to keep its punchy nature.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
To answer the counter productive power question. Get your mate to take the M3 into a roundabout in the wet at silly speed or boot it out of a corner in the same conditions see what happens. Average driver will run out of talent/luck a lot quicker than they would in the VI.

I am hoping that the guys and gals with the 400/400 VIs see and comment on this thread. I haven't really read any that go above that that end well for a road use only car.

I read on hear that an 80 series turbo for instance isn't a great idea on the non-mivec BUT know someone that uses it with great effect on his normal VIII as it's arguably the best OEM tubby. Think he has a 70/71 fitted to his IV with an VIII block and VI head (IIRC).

Do some searches on here?

Hope you can get some PROPER advice on here as it's what the MLR is about. Not just comments like mine admittedly. At least the post count puts it in the spotlight the more we post though!

Reactions: Topz

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
i have a 550/480 Tommi Makinen, its an every day car and i love it. If in the right gear there is no lag, not a lot stays with me up to legal road limits, wouldnt change it at all now :D

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
400bhp seems to be the general rule of thumb.

However even 400bhp evo will massively struggle against a turbocharged / supercharged M3 @ 550bhp is heavily modified.

For outright pace anything short of a GT30 variant will struggle. We're talking about £7,8,9,£10,000 build here.

However if it were me, I'd worry less about what friends, family and other people have and concentrate on my own goals. Under £5000 get the car to a reliable 400bhp and enjoy it. B roads and track is where the evo will come into its own and while it'll
Lack the pace of the modified M3. You'll have just as much fun in the VI at half the price.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cheers for the quick replies chaps.
Sorry I should have made myself a little clearer as maybe I've miss lead you. Im not interested in chasing BHP figures to out do some one else or to try be faster than this car or that car. Like I said Being in the M3 just sparked the thought process.. What is the optimum setup so to speak to best enjoy my VI on a daily basis? . Is there much to be gained by trying to achieve say 500/500 or is that too much etc etc.
Id kind of figured that it would be around 400/400 however it's nice to hear that people have taken the boundaries a little further helps me get an idea of what to aim for and what's possible.
i have a 550/480 Tommi Makinen, its an every day car and i love it. If in the right gear there is no lag, not a lot stays with me up to legal road limits, wouldnt change it at all now

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Cheers for the quick replies chaps.
Sorry I should have made myself a little clearer as maybe I've miss lead you. Im not interested in chasing BHP figures to out do some one else or to try be faster than this car or that car. Like I said Being in the M3 just sparked the thought process.. What is the optimum setup so to speak to best enjoy my VI on a daily basis? . Is there much to be gained by trying to achieve say 500/500 or is that too much etc etc.
Id kind of figured that it would be around 400/400 however it's nice to hear that people have taken the boundaries a little further helps me get an idea of what to aim for and what's possible.
if I was to go back to an evo 5 to 9 again, i'd go straight to 400hp for a road car, its the limit of risk vs reward vs cost for most. Some feel 400 is too much, if thats you, then you are looking at uprated con rods. Again if it were me, i'd love a 5 to 9 with con rods done and HKS Kai turbo, think thats getting towards 450hp with great spool

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I recently tried to buy a 550bhp E92 M3 and it turns out they don't have a much torque as you would think, they have around 380lb/ft when supercharged.

400/400 in a Evo is a lot and you really feel the extra torque and is ideal for day to day use and is very good bang for buck. But, if you can afford more then go for more :handsup:

Personally, i'd rather have the M3 for RWD shenanigans and hooning.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
My V is on 370bhp and compared to my standard VI TME, it's so much quicker. I personally don't think a pre VII 400/400 evo would do to bad against the M3 supercharged or not. There's probably about a quarter of a tonne between them, maybe 30-40 bhp per tonne difference between a 400bhp VI and a 550bhp m3. As Jake said, the torque wouldn't typically be that high even on a supercharged m3. There's almost no lag with mine and it pulls so strong. Get into triple figures I'd expect the m3 to start coming alive but lower speeds, the acceleration and handling I'd take my evo.

To level it out, you'd want about 450bhp in the evo. Think the m3 would be dead meat on a tight track.

Reactions: Topz

·
Registered
419 Posts
My IX is running 520bhp and 470 pound of torque can I use it all on the road, no I cannot, but it is nice to know I have it if I want to. Be careful of chasing power though as it becomes addictive, what ever power increase you get, you will get use to it, I am thinking of more power all ready, I only had the work done
nine months ago, just something to think about. I would say 400 400 is a good number on the road. I don't regret spending money and time chasing power its great fun, however make sure all the work is done under the same roof, always use new parts and don't take short cuts, as you will spend more in the long run, good luck what ever you decide.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
My bro has a supercharged M3 E92 running 621/ 420. Definitely has the legs when in 3 figures but traction becomes an issue in the real world. Initial pull always goes with the spirited EVO but must say in both terms of track and in daily driving the points are stacked with the EVO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts