Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a quick how-to for replacing the sidelight bulbs on an Evo 7-9. The process was carried out on my Evo 8. I had heard that fitting sidelights was a bit of a pain in the backside (requiring wheels off etc!) but it isn't, as you'll see.

Search terms: How to howto sidelights side lights sidelight light evo 7 8 9 vii viii ix fit fitting guide

Step 1 - Set the wheels
Park up with the wheels on full lock away from the side you will work on first. This guide is on the drivers side, so turn full lock left.

Step 2 - Undo the arch liner
There are 4 fixings you need to undo:
They have been removed in this picture.

1 - Pop clip. The clip operates by the centre bit splaying out the outer bit. (The middle comes out and the outside stays still.) So Use a thin screw driver to lever up on the CENTRE of the clip and it will come out easily.

2 - Bolt. The bolt holds the end of the bumper too, so be careful not to lean on the bumper.

3 - Splay screw. Similar to the pop clip the screw in the centre splays out the outer. Be REALLY careful not to ruin the delicate head of the soft plastic screw. (I failed at this so resorted to the pliers! I had a bag full of spare splay screws in any case.)

4 - As above.

Here's the bits that come out:

Step 3 - Peel back the arch liner and remove the bulb holder
The sidelight bulb is just above the indicator bulb. It's quite high up.

In this photo I've removed the bulb and you can see the day light through the hole where the sidelight was.

This picture shows how you have to put your hand in OVER the top of the reinforcing strut.

The bulb holder rotates a quarter turn anti clockwise and then comes out easily.

Step 4 - Replace the bulbs
You'll need a pair of 501's.

The ones I have shine a bit whiter than standard, it's just a shame they have a blue tint on the glass. (They didn't come in this halfords packet btw.)

They just 'push fit' into the holder.

Step 5 - Put it all back together
Pretty straight forward. Just be careful when putting the bulb holder back in the light fitting that it's done up nice and tight. It kind of 'clicks' with a dull click, when it's back in place. If you don't do this then you'll get water in them. Also be careful with the soft plastic screws again.

Step 6 - Do the other side
Turn the steering wheel the other way and repeat on the other side. Then you're all done.

Conclusion
Here's the difference in look on mine:

They make a decent difference but I'm still not 100% happy with them, so I might try some white LED's or some of those PIAA super white sidelight bulbs. Anyway, the point of the thread was how to change them, rather than what to change them too. So job done! :thumbup:

That's it. Hope this was useful. Cheers.

MAD7BOY

List of my guides:
1 - Fitting Sidelights
2 - Rear Seats Removal
3 - Parcel Shelf Removal
4 - Fitting Harnesses (Not published yet)
5 - Bolt-in Parcel Shelf Camera
6 - Intercooler water spray bottle removal and replacement with cold air feed

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
That's a great guide mate, thanks.

I'll be needing this in the near future to change my sidelight bulbs for LED's.

If you fancy a set of LED's, have a look on eBay and search for 'warden_jp2002'.

I've used his LED's for about 3 years now and they're great. Very well priced and last well. The specific item I use for sidelights are these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-168-194-1W-High-Power-LED-Xenon-White-Wedge-Bulb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33713QQihZ010QQitemZ200314465809QQtcZphoto. A perfect match for OEM HID headlights.

Paul

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great guide mate, thanks.

I'll be needing this in the near future to change my sidelight bulbs for LED's.

If you fancy a set of LED's, have a look on eBay and search for 'warden_jp2002'.

I've used his LED's for about 3 years now and they're great. Very well priced and last well. The specific item I use for sidelights are these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-168-194-1W-High-Power-LED-Xenon-White-Wedge-Bulb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33713QQihZ010QQitemZ200314465809QQtcZphoto. A perfect match for OEM HID headlights.

Paul
Cheers for the link. I'll check those out.

Do you have them installed in your Evo? Do they shine out of the front of the lenses ok? (Some LED 'bulbs' don't work in some cars because LEDs are very directional and they might not be at right angle.)

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I don't have them on the Evo yet but, I had them on my Pulsar (shines into the headlight at an angle) and I have fitted a set into my other halfs Clio R27. On that, the point directly ahead (as they do on the Evo) and they look just right.
If anything, they'll work better on the Evo (7, 8 & 9) as the sidelight lense has a diffuser built in.

Just looking at your front on picture, if these LED's were fitted, I'd expect the whole sidelight segment of the headlight unit to look white (and very bright).

I just need to find out the other bulb fitments (reverse light, number plate light etc) and I'll get a set of these on order.

Paul
Cheers for the link. I'll check those out.

Do you have them installed in your Evo? Do they shine out of the front of the lenses ok? (Some LED 'bulbs' don't work in some cars because LEDs are very directional and they might not be at right angle.)

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Good guide, but a quick word of warning - I've been told on several occassions by a tester that using blue coloured bulbs (even if they shine white light) will result in an MOT failure.

Not sure if that applies to sidelights (mine are only in the headlights) but it's probably worth checking before the MOT tester pulls you up on it.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
The same thing happened to me an MOT or two ago.
The rule applies to any mandatory use lamp bulb, including sidelights. :smthumbup

Paul
Good guide, but a quick word of warning - I've been told on several occassions by a tester that using blue coloured bulbs (even if they shine white light) will result in an MOT failure.

Not sure if that applies to sidelights (mine are only in the headlights) but it's probably worth checking before the MOT tester pulls you up on it.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The same thing happened to me an MOT or two ago.
The rule applies to any mandatory use lamp bulb, including sidelights. :smthumbup

Paul
Cheers for the tips. I bought these bulbs back when I had my Astra. Swapped them back to standard when I bought the Evo 2 years ago and they've been sat in the garage since (hence the old halfords packet!). I didn't mind the blue then, but I don't really like it on the Evo. I don't think it's so in-your-face-obvious due to the diffusion on the lense.

I've just had an MOT done, so no worrys for 12 months! I'll have to remember to do something with them before the next test as I don't want to pay MOT labour rates for them to swap the bulbs for me!

Have you (or anyone else) had an MOT with the LED sidelights? I would have thought they would be more of a problem than blue tinted glass and white light, becasue the LED's only really shine forwards, not out the side?! :confused:

Cheers.

(PS - I've been wondering for ages, so I'll just ask. Given your unusual but very similar user names, are you two related?!)

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I finally got round to buying and fitting a set of the LED's I mentioned above. Here's a few pics for those that are interested:

Paul

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
No worries mate. I'll try and figure out how to adjust the phone settings (it's got a pretty good camera) to get a realistic looking picture and post up the result.

Paul
Looks good, cheers for the pics and update.

(Maybe I'm being too picky but) Is there any chance of a photo where the highlights aren't blown out, so I can see what colour temp they are compared to the HID's? :smthumbup

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
No worries mate. I'll try and figure out how to adjust the phone settings (it's got a pretty good camera) to get a realistic looking picture and post up the result.

Paul
have you got stock hid's in your head lights? i.e 4300 ish?
i'm wanting the 6000k for mine so hope that side light bulb is slightly whiter or even better with a blue tint to them than your hid headlights ?

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Great guides!!! I've checked a few of them and they truly are idiot proof, if you are stupid enough to knackered up after following these then you deserve to get ripped off by Mitsi main dealers. :eek:

The side lights look awesome in, got my MOT on the 4th of April, so will look at getting my set in after that as I can't be bothered with possible failure sheets if the tester wants to be all anal about it. :rolleyes:

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Yep, mine are the stock 4300K bulbs.

I'm interested to see what colour temp these LED's are actually. I have a colorimeter so, I might measure the colour temp at the weekend to confirm it. I'll measure the headlight light output too, to confirm whether that's truly 4300K or not.
As for being slightly whiter than 4300K, white is deemed as 5000K in colour temperature. Anything higher than that will start to look blueish, to purpleish, depending on how high up the Kelvin scale the light they produce. The light out output (measure in lumens) will also drop off from 4300K upwards.
Here's a nice graphic:

Paul
have you got stock hid's in your head lights? i.e 4300 ish?
i'm wanting the 6000k for mine so hope that side light bulb is slightly whiter or even better with a blue tint to them than your hid headlights ?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
There's no way the MOT tester could fail your car with these sidelights installed mate. They're a permitted colour for lamps at the front of the car. They produce a white light output and do not at anytime make your lights look side lights look any colour other than white. :smthumbup

If they did fail it, all those Audi owners with LED daytime running lights will be stuffed when they come to MOT time. :eek: :mhihi:

Paul
The side lights look awesome in, got my MOT on the 4th of April, so will look at getting my set in after that as I can't be bothered with possible failure sheets if the tester wants to be all anal about it. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts