Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not on my car, but my mum's MX5 :( It's been sitting in my garage through the winter and it now resolutely refuses to spin. Last October or so it did this (after sitting for a few weeks) and after the engine had been running about 20 seconds it freed itself - I only noticed because of the smoke! Not this time though it seems.

Short of taking half the inlet assembly apart I can't see a way of getting to the nut on the pully to give it a tug. Are there any other shortcuts to freeing off a seized alternator? Why does this happen anyway?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
chunky said:
Not on my car, but my mum's MX5 :( It's been sitting in my garage through the winter and it now resolutely refuses to spin. Last October or so it did this (after sitting for a few weeks) and after the engine had been running about 20 seconds it freed itself - I only noticed because of the smoke! Not this time though it seems.

Short of taking half the inlet assembly apart I can't see a way of getting to the nut on the pully to give it a tug. Are there any other shortcuts to freeing off a seized alternator? Why does this happen anyway?
Use the belt & a lever

A bit like those stillsons or chain wrenches that use a rubber band

1 - 2 of 2 Posts