Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

How does one tell if a car's engine is pinging ?
Is it very obvious ?

I only have access to 92 octane gas (not RON) and use octane boosters.
Dont want the engine to kill itself so I would to know how to tell if the engine is pinging.

Thanks

- ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I assume you mean pinking,You will hear a rattle,sounds a bit like the exhaust rattling on the bodywork.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the pinking be really loud then ?
So far, I havent heard anything like that.
Hopefully, it would stay that way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not know how loud it would be on a lancer,I am talking from an experiance with a renault 5 gt turbo.If you cannot hear anything then maybe it is not pinking.When it is on full boost is when you should get the noise...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will not here pinking/detonation in the car without the use of the right equipment.On low grade fuel like you are using I would say it will be detting on the top end, octane booster might be a safe bet for you.

Rgds Kevin A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The simple way to hear if your engine is Pinking is to get a stethoscope from your local GP or hospital or vet and connect a length of air tube similar to the stuff used in providing fish tanks with air. The tube can be bought from pet shops. At the end of the tube attach a battery style crocodile clip. Then attach the croc to the engine block and feed the air line from the engine bay out of the bonnet and thru the drivers open window. Put on the Stethoscope and go for a spin. Get on a motorway and with the car in fifth, accelerate upto 100mph.........

Listen for the pinking noise !

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jonathan's solution is good for a one off test, but given your fuel circumastances I would advise that you purchase a KnockLink (http://www.brdevelopments.com/link.html) and have a permanant visual indication of whether you have det. and act accordingly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice, I have had a knock link in my 6 for nearly a year now.It is always worth keeping an eye it as fuel does vary from place to place.

Rgds Kevin A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You probably want tell if your car is pinking as the dentanation sensor will retard the ignition when this happens and your car will become flat and loose power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The std knock sensor on the VI is pretty good, but you most certainly can detect det as there is a time lag between detection and removing ignition within the ECU.

Rgds Kevin A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts