Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please write up a quick step by step of how to perform a J turn.

I had a bet with someone and we need help deciding the winner!

The main thing we need to know is which brakes you use when you turn.

I'm not going to say what I think yet, as I don't want to influence your answers!

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i know im not rlly answering ur question but wud be interested in how far wrong i am. lol

ive never done one, but at a guess i reckon. reverse, handful of lock, clutch and dab brake pedal, 1st gear, boot it! lol.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
i know im not rlly answering ur question but wud be interested in how far wrong i am. lol

ive never done one, but at a guess i reckon. reverse, handful of lock, clutch and dab brake pedal, 1st gear, boot it! lol.
...destroy your transmission, call the AA, moan on the MLR :crackup:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I thought in a normal IE front wheel drive car, you use the handbrake to perform a J-Turn. I have done reverse 180s before just reversing and turning the wheel but thought a J-Turn was done using the handbrake as I've seen this done on some evasive driving programs but looking on the net everyone recons you just use the normal brakes (non ABS cars) so it's looking like I'm going to lose my bet unless I can come up with some evidence otherwise.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
J-Turn : According to CAT DT this is an entry method into a hair pain. Stay wide, crank on lock, clip apex and power out.

Its also an evasive technique using reverse gear to escape, handful of lock at speed, no brakes (i never used them) and as the front swings round, 1st gear and floor it. Obviously you need to wind off the lock.

I have used this very effectively some years ago (like about 15!) when being chased by a car load of thugs/muggers/jackers whatever. They had tried to close me in earlier and were right up me jacksy. I hit the brake pedal, threshold braked, they shot past, all started piling out.

I took reverse, redlined it, spun it and disappeared :)

I did however SNAP my exhaust bolts in the centre section and pulled the manifold off partly, well it was leaking and needed helicoiling. So that says a lot of stress on the car!

Dont do it in an evo huh?

e2a: no handbrake involved, going forwards and engaing that, well thats a handbrake turn dude!

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
I have used this very effectively some years ago (like about 15!) when being chased by a car load of thugs/muggers/jackers whatever. They had tried to close me in earlier and were right up me jacksy. I hit the brake pedal, threshold braked, they shot past, all started piling out.

I took reverse, redlined it, spun it and disappeared :)

Isn't that a scene out of Top Gun, Nick? :confused:

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
Isn't that a scene out of Top Gun, Nick? :confused:
:mhihi::lol:

well hit the brakes, theyll fly right by :D

true story rob :) thing is, its quite easy to flip your car....... all you need is it to catch some proud ironworks on the road sideways at the front and its all over ;)

i wouldnt try this in my evo :D mainly due to respect of the drivetrain :crackup:

·
Profound thinker
6,383 Posts
Used to do these in my dad's company cars in snowy carparks... (along with the obligatory hand-brake turns. Add them together to achieve more than 180° of spin)

1. Reverse in a straight line,
2. Quick 1/2 turn of steering,
3. As soon as steering bites momentarily stand on the footbrake,
4. AND the clutch,
5. Centre the steering wheel while engaging first gear,
6. Lift clutch with 1/2 - 3/4 throttle applied.

Best use I can think of for a 1.6l passat turbo-diesel estate that did 0-60 in 16 seconds.

Sorry, thinking about it a bit more, that was the third best use.
Absolute best use was reverse parking into a country spot with a spectacular view and lifting the tailgate and climbing in the back for....
Second best use was sticking it in a hedge at ??mph with 4 friends in the car on the way to the pub! Hateful car. Everyone was OK. car was a write-off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts