Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
errr right, my bro's supra is easy to drift, my old mr2 turbo was hard to get going and almost instantly span. but I cant even get the evo's tyre's to screach.... my evo has some very nice shocks and is fully adjustable and I cant seem to get the arse end to drift. does anybody have any tips on getting a 4X4 to drift?

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Drive into the corner faster, brake later and stay braking longer. You will then either do a lovely 4 wheel drift or throw it off the road backwards.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Turn in going way too fast, throttle off (or dab the brakes), that will get you sideways, then lay the power on.

Another way is to turn in really violently, but again you need to be going too fast for the corner, and once your sideways, power on.

No matter how you do it, you need to be going dangerously fast for the corner and break traction using the speed of the car (so don't do it on the road cause you'll kill someone) you can't rely on spinning up the rear wheels to break traction like you can in a rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Never tried it with an evo but an old trick of mine was to slightly flick it in the other direction (opposite way you are turning into) and drag quickly back into the corner - tends to flick the back end out a treat!* :D

* disclaimer: Crash damage encountered while performing this manouvre has bugger all to do with me.

·
Registered
961 Posts
drop the front ride height and soften up the front damper as much as they will go, pick up the rear ride height, turn the dampers to full stiff and increase the rear tyre pressures.

Our old F3 race engineer said that which ever end is the stiffest thats where it would breakaway first and its usually born out in practice.

Disclaimer as above though

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You've bought the wrong car mate!

Disconnect the front driveshafts.

That ought to do it!! ;)

Seriously though - I just used to tip mine in on the brakes - with a vicious stab of steering - just enough to loosen the rear, then get straight back on the loud pedal and hope you've got enough power to hold the drift.

Left foot braking works well - jab the brake with your left foot while hoiking the steering and keeping on the power.

Non of the above recommended on the public highway.

A bit of toe out on the rear helps too - do a search on the suspension settings I suggested ages ago.

But you really need to get away from this 4wd malarky!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Buy a cheap mk2 xr2. They are like skate boards on wheels. You will drift everywhere ours did.

I wouldn't like to drift a evo too much. Might hit the pocket a bit hard.

Had ours sideways a few times. Only by accident though. Probably couldn't do it again even if I wanted to.

Seriously though if you want to drift it. Try it off the public roads for the following reasons.

1. Too many other road users.

2. Probably have car taken away by police.

3. Big fine and possibly court hearing relating to dangerous driving.

4. Too higher risk of damaging the car on kerbs, passers by etc.

Probably many more other reasons out there.

Trina

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for helping and showing concern lol

Its ok im not a boy racer and im not gona do it down the high street with the stereo on full blast. I live right out in the middle of east anglia where the roads are empty and you can see other cars coming about 4 miles away, and on my way to work there are some really nice wide EMPTY roads and if I slide off all im gona do is run into some sweet peas or wheat feilds.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
This sort of thing?

Much good advice already given :)

It's far easier to change tyres for drift days / comps, than suspension settings - we run narrower, worn tyres on the rear of our PS13 drift car - get a set of wheels with crap, hard tyres on your EVO and it will make drifting far easier :D

The two things to consider are starting the drift and then balancing it. The handbrake is always the easiest way to start a drift - works better if you put the clutch in. You can also then raise the revs and do a clutch kick to get the wheels spinning :D :coolsm:

To keep traction broken to balance the drift, you need to have either high enough cornering speed, low enough grip - e.g. crap tyres or wet track, or enough power, or a mixture of the three!

Keep it safe & post up some vids of your attemps!

Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Damp roads & a little heavier on the right foot. Worked for me to get ours sideways. Wasn't trying to do it, just a bit of a oh $h1t moment as a car was flying down the road towards me as I was turning.(very bad blind spot on this road).

The car seems to tell you it is going break free just before the back end sticks out.

Honestly now I did have a big grin on my face when it did step out. And I usually drive very sensibly as the kids are with 99% of the time.

Trina

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cheap crappy tyres on the back, good tyres on the front. Worked a treat at Donington :D Back comes out much easier and you can simply hold it there with copious amounts of throttle as long as you want to. :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts