Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a standard 6 TME and will be purchasing a full exhaust system soon, I already have an Apex'i FCU to be mapped once the exhaust is on.
Will I notice much of an improvement if I fit an induction kit or is the standard air box good enough for these small modifications?
(I realise that the filter needs to be in a cool location for the best benefits and will move the battery if I uprate the filter)

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
For the best performance on a 4/5/6/ you would be better to relocate to the front of the car, and use a decent inductiuon kit. Make sure it is fed well with cold air though, and if you have the means also blank it off from the rest of the engine bay.

On the later Evos, the air box is positioned better, and fed better with cold air.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
RichW said:
For the best performance on a 4/5/6/ you would be better to relocate to the front of the car, and use a decent inductiuon kit. Make sure it is fed well with cold air though, and if you have the means also blank it off from the rest of the engine bay.

On the later Evos, the air box is positioned better, and fed better with cold air.
Rich Bex car has been fuel cutting cos of the cold recently, well the Blitz boost controller has been retarding the boost mores the point. Is there a way to get round this (cos in some circumstances it can be a bit dangerous) But back to this thread wanted I wanted to know is would the same thing happen if I fitted a slightly bigger intercooler and relocated as you suggest the cone filter with a cold air feed from the tommi bumper vent :confused: Or is it just extremely cold days that will cause it :confused:

Thanks

Matt
:)

P.S Hope to see you at the Bubble 1st pints on me

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Matt,
Easiest answer is to turn your boost down by 0.1 bar. Fuel cuts are not good at all whenever they happen due to the shocks it puts through the engine/transmission.

It will still happen on cold days due to the fact that it the measured signal from the airflow meter that causes the cuts.

Andy

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Re: Re: How necessary is it to fit a cone filter/induction kit?

Aidy said:
No. In fact you probably won't notice any improvement.
&...
you'll lose some torque....as there will be no 'ram-air' effect that you get through the standard airbox

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
AndyF_RSX said:
Matt,
Easiest answer is to turn your boost down by 0.1 bar. Fuel cuts are not good at all whenever they happen due to the shocks it puts through the engine/transmission.

It will still happen on cold days due to the fact that it the measured signal from the airflow meter that causes the cuts.

Andy
Cheers Andy the boost controller is set at 1.4 bar and it is spiking to 1.53 before the ID3 cuts it back. I'm not sure reducing the boost by 0.1 bar will have any affect??? Guess I will just keep it turned down to 1.2 and see how we go from there. Looks like the warm weather is with us now (hooray) so prob no need to worry till next year :)

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
I thought a after market filter is a good upgrade for a E6?

oh and i have a Blitz Sonic for sale, pretty local to you to :eek:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: How necessary is it to fit a cone filter/induction kit?

Aidy said:
No. In fact you probably won't notice any improvement.
Thankyou, thought this would be the case. So why do people waste money on induction kits???

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dark Evo said:
I thought a after market filter is a good upgrade for a E6?

oh and i have a Blitz Sonic for sale, pretty local to you to :eek:
Oooh, yes please :crackup:

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
LOL no worries. I haven't even posted it for sale yet, I'm pretty sure it will sell though.

Thankyou, thought this would be the case. So why do people waste money on induction kits???
don't know. Also, I can't answer why people get fuel cuts after fitting one ;)

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How necessary is it to fit a cone filter/induction kit?

alcarmichael said:
Because of the "sound", the fact that they think it gives them a a gain (wow....fitted my HKS and now she flies), it is a "mod" and makes the car look different under the bonnet.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Doesn't the standard induction become restrictive at some point if power is increased?
Why do well knon tuners "upgrade" the induction kit as part of their tuning package?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dark Evo said:
LOL no worries. I haven't even posted it for sale yet, I'm pretty sure it will sell though.

don't know. Also, I can't answer why people get fuel cuts after fitting one ;)
Is this true? People get fuel cuts after fitting an induction kit?
Now i'm :confused:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
alcarmichael said:
Is this true? People get fuel cuts after fitting an induction kit?
Now i'm :confused:
It can happen because they do help to increase power. A nice free flow exhaust and filter helps the breathing and raises the boost. Which can be too high sometimes for the std ECU to cope with. If u do get fuel cuts after though check your actuator isnt knackered first (common problem)

:)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Leonard said:
Cheers Andy the boost controller is set at 1.4 bar and it is spiking to 1.53 before the ID3 cuts it back. I'm not sure reducing the boost by 0.1 bar will have any affect??? Guess I will just keep it turned down to 1.2 and see how we go from there. Looks like the warm weather is with us now (hooray) so prob no need to worry till next year :)
It sounds like you have the ID3 on manually configured setting where the duty and gain are set.

If you switch a channel to auto and set it and 1.4 it won't over boost. It'll be a little more laggy but you could switch to it only the channel when is cold.

You can also adjust the amount by which the duty is cut when you over boost, that would mean that the cut wouldn't be as extreme, maybe try a reduction in duty of about 10?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts