Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does it cost to replace the conrods with forged ones and can you use the original pistons?
Does the engine have to be removed?Is it worthwhile having the pistons done at the same time?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
from my research it is possible to take the head off and drop new rods in without too much hassle, its worth doing the pistons too but thats a bit more complicated as re boring etc might be required, also i have been told it isnt the best method doing rods/pistons with the head off as the big ends will be a nightmare without the block out.

just for informations sake iv been quoted 20-24 hours labour for head to come off, cams, retainers, springs fitted along with rods and pistons fitted (assuming standard bore) so at £35 an hour thats around 800 quid give or take some.

i am in total and utter confusion as to what to do, i cant justify taking the whole block out but i cant risk an unrelliable bottom end .... nightmare

·
Registered
22 Posts
conrods

Hi
I have just been talking to garage about changing conrod bolts on my EVO VIII 260, which has had a few mods already, they have said that before I do any more, ie change fuel pump and boost controller that I should have con rods changed or engine could go bang!!
Not sure if same as you but they have said £ 200 ish
Does this help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are Evo conrods made out of paper or something? Sounds like a whole heap of paranoia going on unless you guys are pumping out serious HP.

If you are going to go to the hassle of replacing conrods, bearings etc, you may as well do forged pistons at the same time. Don't forget the hidden costs of this type of work, gasket kits, bolts, oils etc.

Also 24 hours labour seems a bit extreme, how long does it realistically take to remove an Evo engine? I have helped with a few engine builds on SR20's and it didn't take anywhere near this long when the mechanic was focused on the task at hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts