Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a question that has a lot of different answers accordingly to people's circumstances, but this is aimed at maybe people who have to save up for things and don't have money to throw at their evos(no offence intended to people who are loaded:handsup:).

My car is needing some refreshing underneath,
So as not having a garage to put it in and have a go myself I've booked it in at a top end restoration company to have a look and give me a price, strip underside deal with any rust issues and re seal.
My car is never going to be a garage queen.
So not a full restoration like nuts and bolts and everything looking pristine, that's not what I want. Just to preserve the underneath so I can carry on driving for many years to come.
So really the question is how much would you be prepared to spend on your evo to make it last?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I guess that would depend if they find anything I.e welding that is required. But if your talking about taking it all down to the metal I.e existing under seal off etc I would say starting about 1500 up over. I've done it on one of my other cars and it's a thankless task I guess some company's may price so they don't have to do it?

Mine needs doing aswell mate but I'm lucky that I can have garage to do it in but must say I'm not looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Never had it out in the ****e weather Justin so hopefully very little and ages, hats off to you for using as intended :smthumbup I've a couple of 4x4s for the crap weather :frust::lol:

·
acting daft since 1969
19,624 Posts
the problem lies when you start taing things of and there rotten stripped or just snap off then it becomes a HUGE problem what could be a months work can easily become 6 months if you have ot keep supplying the person with new bits

i dont think any one will take it on for less than £3k ,id hazard a guess at considerly more

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,951 Posts
Stop driving your car in RIVERS Justin! Is it just in need of protecting then there are a few places that will cavity wax and re-waxoil, etc. There is a place mentioned on here before that does a day turnaround strip/steam clean then re-apply?

http://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/

I think that Rustmaster at St.Albans have closed down?

Reactions: river evo 6

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I would sell up and import a fresh one and clear underseal that. You could get a new one with the money you get for your old one :smthumbup
Can't do that mate.
Wouldn't be my car then.
Got a few war wounds my car, and a lot of memories.
Can't abandon it in its time of need:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
20,610 Posts
Stop driving in rivers mr River Evo6 :lol:.....thats apt :mhihi:
Good on thee for not killing her , resuscitate her with a boob job and make over :smthumbup
Will be bloody expensive and time consuming ,yet thine bond with :mitsi: is Honorable :coolsm:

·
Premium Member
Evo8 260 2004
2,381 Posts
Had mine done, full strip down, taken back to metal, re sealed, new rear and front sub frame fitted (supplied by me). New brake lines and new Ayc braded hoses fitted. Cost £1900. Problems arise when your removing the sub frames ect due to seized and broken bolts which all take time to sort. Time is money as they say.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had mine done, full strip down, taken back to metal, re sealed, new rear and front sub frame fitted (supplied by me). New brake lines and new Ayc braded hoses fitted. Cost £1900. Problems arise when your removing the sub frames ect due to seized and broken bolts which all take time to sort. Time is money as they say.
That's a realistic price I would definitely pay:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Siezed subframe bolts? I've not known subframe bolts snap on any car I've ever worked on, they are pretty damn substantial bolts. Is that an Evo thing? My rear subframe came off fine but to be fair it had been off before.

·
Premium Member
Evo8 260 2004
2,381 Posts
Siezed subframe bolts? I've not known subframe bolts snap on any car I've ever worked on, they are pretty damn substantial bolts. Is that an Evo thing? My rear subframe came off fine but to be fair it had been off before.
Hi mate, was referring to the bolts on the underside in general, a lot more then the sub frames came off. Also if you have a look on here, quite a few people have problems with seized and broken bolts when restoring the underside.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,624 Posts
as with any car thats getting on for 20 years old it can give you problems ,but snapped bolts is quite comman more so if they have never been off ,i took a 5 apart it gave my snap on nut gun a rough time getting the big subframe bolts out they where so corrodid in ,but ive seen it on here where subframes have been cut off as its corrodid around the bolts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Can't do that mate.
Wouldn't be my car then.
Got a few war wounds my car, and a lot of memories.
Can't abandon it in its time of need:smthumbup
:lol:
You must of put up about a dozen threads on this subject over the last 6 months.
I really think that the Evo is not the type of car thats suitable for you! You obviously dont have a great deal of money to spend. Damn! You dont even drive it at full throttle :eek: .
Just get on with it FFS. :yawn:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
as with any car thats getting on for 20 years old it can give you problems ,but snapped bolts is quite comman more so if they have never been off ,i took a 5 apart it gave my snap on nut gun a rough time getting the big subframe bolts out they where so corrodid in ,but ive seen it on here where subframes have been cut off as its corrodid around the bolts
Aye, siezed bolts are always a problem on old cars but never seen subframe bolts be an issue, usually smaller sized ones. When I did my diff I copper greased the **** out every bolt that went back on, it helps me sleep at night :lol:

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
You must of put up about a dozen threads on this subject over the last 6 months.
I really think that the Evo is not the type of car thats suitable for you! You obviously dont have a great deal of money to spend. Damn! You dont even drive it at full throttle :eek: .
bit harsh? :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What :cry:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Which places offer cavity wax? Ive not seen many i could do with that the car is mint atm and would like to keep it like that.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,624 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts