Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with my subaru i never had an oil temp gauge, so after a serious thrashing i would just idle it for 5 minutes and then switch off.

with the evo V (autronic'd, running 350 bhp) i find that the values on the hks oil temp gauge are 8 for normal and get up as far as 9.5 when i have given the car a sorting.

i drive gently for the last mile or so of the journey. i find that it is difficult to get the oil temp value below 8.75/8.5, unless i idle for more than 5 mins - ie: about 10 +!

i therefore switch off at about 8.75/8.5 oil temp value.

is this considered to be ok, or do any of you guys wait until all temps are all the way down?

·
Registered
224 Posts
To be honest I've never idled it in my life. I drive the last five minutes of my journey off boost though as this is far more efficient at cooling than idleing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
agreed, but up unto the last mile or so before my house is a very nice, very fast road, which just has to get it! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mr Weava
how long do you idle for?

Iv'e also got your set up with a bb turbo with no oil temp gauge, and live by the end of a winding duel caridgeway, though I do :angel: of course obey the 30 for the last 1/3 mile, then switch off, whether this is ok I don't know :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
809 Posts
You should not be looking at oil temperature as an indication as this tells you nothing!

In the idle/off-boost period you are simply making sure that enough coolant has run through the turbo to cool it down, so that when you switch it off the oil that sits in the turbo will not get so hot that it will cook itself to the bearing and shaft.

If you have just booted it for a few seconds then a minute should be enough to bring the turbo temp down.

Failing that, the last 2-3 minutes of your drive should all be below 3k rpm and no foot to the floor action.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well I always drive last 5 minutes home off boost and then idle tillt he fan comes on and then goes off. What i used todo with my cossie.. Always seems to work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts