Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you actually put the foot to the floor and drive your car on the limit or close to on a good empty B road or empty stretch of tarmac. These days I'm more careful but can't help myself when the time is right, but always worried about the safety aspect and the pigs. So I'm attacking the roads much less than I used to.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I only take mine out once a week, but I do put my foot down at least once, but these days you have to be very careful, especially because of the dreaded dash cam. I always make sure the my car is thoroughly warmed up. I have motorbikes and I find it easier to go fast on my bike, than in a car. Obviously I never go over the speed limit, and as you say the time has to be right.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Had my evo 3 and half years and can honestly say I've never put the pedal right down to the floor!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I use mine for commuting so the answer is gingerly. Too much traffic and too many speed cameras around for me to press on the loud pedal. Waiting for some free time on the weekend for an early morning hoon out on my favourite stretch of countryside roads.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Well I'm very mechanically sympathetic so warm up and cool down every time. Inbetween on the open road I have some fun, no point owning the car unless you use WOT occasionally...

Reactions: Hank79 and DuncanIV

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
:lol: stick to your saxo

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,952 Posts
I 'think' I drive mine 'properly' when road conditions allow. :naughty: Will never take silly risks or fly up the motorway like some sales rep!
When other people can see me I am one of the slowest cars on the road comparitively so they can all appreciate the looks of the car lol.
I only bought it as a weekend toy and as a 'rally special' what is the point in it otherwise.
Or it's like the old adage of having a beautiful wife and not...well you know the rest :crackup:

All I woild say is that if you really want to use the car safely and properly keep to track days and closed roads, etc.

I did the CAT driver training in mine at Milbrook so I am a lot more aware of what it can do on the road safely now! On one test I had it up to 145 mph (speedo indicated a bit more) for 3 laps of the bowl which is 6-miles. It was knackering the amount of concentration needed after a few miles so not recommended to be honest! Even did the party trick of hands off the wheel at 100mph :eek: proved the car was set up right.

·
Registered
711 Posts
how many of you actually put the foot to the floor and drive your car on the limit or close to on a good empty b road or empty stretch of tarmac. These days i'm more careful but can't help myself when the time is right, but always worried about the safety aspect and the pigs. So i'm attacking the roads much less than i used to.
a

·
Registered
711 Posts
How many of you actually put the foot to the floor and drive your car on the limit or close to on a good empty B road or empty stretch of tarmac. These days I'm more careful but can't help myself when the time is right, but always worried about the safety aspect and the pigs. So I'm attacking the roads much less than I used to.
Anyone with an evo will do the same!

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I preferred going out on a Saturday night/Sunday morning in mine. Around 3-4 am the country roads are usually pretty quiet and if there is any other cars, you see the headlights in time to chill out.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I cane mine away from built up areas, but I don't do wild overtaking etc and dash cameras are always on my mind..... I often wonder whether the Evo will end up a track warrior as the roads are too busy for accelerating hard up to the speed limits :D

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Opening the evo up gives you a right smile.
If I were only ever to drive miss daisy, I'd sell the evo and buy a Kia.

I wouldn't drive everywhere flat, but do swallow my balls now and then, and if I get caught, I'll take it like a man and cry to the copper.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
From my little non racing driver brain:

When mine's on the road I'd feel pretty gutted if I didn't give it a full boost WOT at least once per journey in a straight line. Granted that's a lot easier if you drive it for a 300+mile weekend commute!
As for cornering, above roundabout speeds, nah, never come near unless I'm with a "like-minded" guided driving tour. I did a CAT driver training day (in their Impreza granted) and I honestly couldn't give my evo that hard a thrashing on the road because:

1) I usually don't know where the road is going (more so at night). It's like a rally driver without pace notes!
2) If I do know where the road is going but can't see it (eg. over crest or round blind-ish bends where your stopping distance exceeds that which you can see) then I can't tell if it has on coming traffic/oils/horse manure/dead cyclist on the surface which will affect my cornering or braking grip. Sh!t happens to everyone but I've never been the victim of a "there was 'x' contaminant on the road" crash and I don't plan to be either!
3) If I can see where the road surface is going at max speed, I'm going too fast to check for lumps and bumps that would affect maximum cornering ability because I'm looking where I'm going, not where I am (Thanks Colin ;-) ) That is conceded if you genuinely know the road but again leads you back to my previous point about oils etc

To put it basically, on the road, you need to drive with a safety margin which any evo makes VERY small because driving at cornering traction is so easy

1 - 20 of 43 Posts