Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just had my evo valleted and it looks gorgeous. I was just wondering how they do this, on the outside I mean. They have not polished it as it was just a quick wash however it has come up faultless and miles better than I could dream of even if I spent all day on it!

What is your procedure for washing yours that gives good results and what do you use? I normally just wash all the dirt off with a sponge and then hose it down however always get patches and a crap overall finish.

Black cars are notoriously hard to keep clean however mine is a nightmare as I do a few miles!

Napier

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Napier said:
What is your procedure for washing yours that gives good results and what do you use? I normally just wash all the dirt off with a sponge and then hose it down however always get patches and a crap overall finish.
Very good question. I'm sure our resident polisher Mr Lee Leg-end will be along shortly to answer it for you :D:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm

Hoy naughty people!

I was hoping we were going to be able to avoid the with water sarcy comments...

I have always wondered what is the best method for washing the beast (and again please refrain from anything rude there)...

How do I get me evo nice and spanky clean????

Napier

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
mitsygirl1 said:
;) get rob to do it . its won 10 times . best e6 best mlr car and best mitsy. jet wash and lots of hard work. he is at it for hours sometimes days before a show..
Rob shmob. If you want to know about cleaning perfection then I'll teach you everything I know. I always make sure my car is pristine when attending any event or gathering.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
full jetwash treatment....then quick drive home, chamois off excess water, and if it's still looking dull, a nice polish and wax. the streak free rinse is good, but you have to chamois it to get it looking really streak free.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yep chamois is the way to go. Even if you don't want to use the full zymol treatment - at least get their wash mixture and chamois. The wash is amazing at getting all the crap off, and the chamois is amazing at getting all the water off afterwards. With a black car it looks incredible. Next step up is to wax it etc.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
See this thread!!

I have posted some pics of my Black Type-R this is how you keep it clean!!

clean the alloys first!!! I use wonder wheels, then I rinse the car off with cool water,

Then wash the panels starting with the roof and working my way down sometimes I wash the roof and then leather it straight away then work on the body panels,

Use cool water (Stops streaking) with the Zymol auto wash, and I always leather the car ringing the leather out with warm to hot water, I then use a wax applicator sponge applying liberally in a small circular motion over the entire car, I then use a stiff cloth over the electric polisher and work along the car where I started applying the wax and polish first. I then use a static duster to remove the dust. I apply a tyre gel to give a nice clean matt shine and I wipe the alloys over with an alloy polish (This stops break dust from sticking). 3-4 Hours later I'm done, if its black you have no other choice but to take your time and apply a little effort :D otherwise it looks cra*

·
Registered
998 Posts
Always hose the car before you touch it with a sponge, this will loosen the dirt. (the best time to wash you car is actually while it is raining as it loosens the dirt for you). Once you have done this then you can start to wash it with a sponge and car shampoo. Rinse often to avoid the shampoo drying and then use a synthetic chamois to dry. Only use a real chamois if you store it properly, if you let it dry out it will scratch the paint when you use it next.

Then you move on to the cleaning fluid and wax.

Yes I know it's sad to wash my car in the rain, but you don't have to dry it afterwards do you. ;)

Edited to say CTRnutter beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
you should never rely on rain as it contains grit ;) not to the eye but it does trust me and you will end up causing a spider web effect which can be seen in sunlight. Also if you can try to get cotton wash cloths rather than a sponge. Synthetic leathers aren't as effective as a real leather! put your leather into a bucket of hot water and leave it to soak before you use it, then ring it out and put it into a bucket of fresh water!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Just thought I'd add yes I feel like a sad git..... :p but owning a black car does this to you,

never again :rolleyes: I swear never get black unless you want to compromise your social life with cleaning the damn things :D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
With a black car the main thing is to avoid using a dirty sponge or u end up with loadsa tiny scratches resembling cobwebs all ova it!

jet wash it to get rid of as much muck as pos, then brush, then sponge. All with loadsa water to take away the dirt!!

Don't let it get done when its being serviced or u'll be polishin for hours to get rid of all the scatches!!

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Re: hmmm

Napier said:
Hoy naughty people!

I was hoping we were going to be able to avoid the with water sarcy comments...

I have always wondered what is the best method for washing the beast (and again please refrain from anything rude there)...

How do I get me evo nice and spanky clean????

Napier
The trick is to use Wash'n'Wax (by Turtle Wax) and then give it a very good chammy. It gives it a very good polished look without the polish/wax if you know what I mean.

Oh and dont ever EVER use a brush.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Global,
why not a brush?

If you get the wash un wax stuff on your windscreen seems to reduce windscreen wiper effectiveness, appears to stop screen wash working and hold road grim on the windscreen thats wot I found?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts