Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment my car is immaculate, obviously the previous owners took great care of it and polished/waxed/washed it properly to keep it this way. I'm just wondering what you guys think are the best products too use and how you go about keeping your cars nice and shiny :smthumbup. I guess a lot of products say they are the business and just ain't and i don't wanna just go on price tags :rotz:.

I usually wash down the car to get rid of loose dirt, then wash the car with hot water and car care shampoo using a sponge. Wash it down, then wax. Any tips would be appreciated, I realise that this may seem like a kinda stupid topic, but I wanna keep my car mint and shiny!!!!

:smthumbup:mitsi::smthumbup

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Anything Autoglym... my sis has some new fangle thick wax for her Fto going to borrow that and give it a go...

·
Registered
759 Posts
well james you know how clean my car is. i prefer to use a first coat of high speen b road driving followed by a good big coat of mud but only on the sides. wheels are best done with a light smearing of brake dust. always turns out fantastic. lol

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
meguiars on mine apart from the shiny bits under the bonnet i use mothers metal polish on them

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't use a sponge, get a sheepskin wash mit and use the 2 bucket method. For wax, invest in a set of JEFF's products, top notch, better than any crap from halfrauds.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Don't use a sponge, get a sheepskin wash mit and use the 2 bucket method. For wax, invest in a set of JEFF's products, top notch, better than any crap from halfrauds.
What he said. Never use a sponger as dirt gets trapped/engrained in the sponge causing scratches and swirl marks. Get yourself a Meguires wash mit cloth and use any top brands i.e. Auto Glym or Meguires. Mines used as a daily driver but after a Sunday afternoon can look in showroom condition with a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What he said. Never use a sponger as dirt gets trapped/engrained in the sponge causing scratches and swirl marks. Get yourself a Meguires wash mit cloth and use any top brands i.e. Auto Glym or Meguires. Mines used as a daily driver but after a Sunday afternoon can look in showroom condition with a little elbow grease.
Will get one asap, I am more interested in polishing. I have started to wax my car but I can honestly say that I have never used polish before on any of my cars :shake: apart from when i watch gerry do it lol :smthumbup

Anything i should watch out for or NOT do?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I only polish mine a couple of times per year after using a clay bar to remove the contaminents in the paint. I tend to wax more often than polish. I use nothing but the Meguires NXT range. Works a treat for me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I get one of those each Christmas. :D
cheapest place??? £36 seems reasonable, any other products you can recommend along with this one. Also need to find a decent air freshener, had 1 too many MacDonalds in the car, lol. I was a fan of the tree air vent clips, what do other people use?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Get the JEFF's products from polished bliss, better than the P21 system, I won't change to anything else after having used this system..

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Don't use a sponge, get a sheepskin wash mit and use the 2 bucket method.
Totally agree!

I personally find Poorboys world super soak and suds about the best I've come across - two bucket method. Waffle weave to dry. Poorboys Nattys paste to polish. Poorboys world spray and wipe just to clean up any little bits that need it.

Best bet is to try out various things and see what you find works best.

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
I tend to blast mine off with the pressure washer then give it a good clean with Zymol shampoo and a wash mit. Then blast off again and sometimes i give it a wax. Not polished it yet though.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Tell the Mrs to wash it... Pink job.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts