Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mates computer is f**ked because his little sister installs uninstalls s*it and downloads even more.

He has backed up what he wants onto CD and just wants to reinstall windows XP back to when it arrived

Anybody with good advise please HELP!! :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Also well worth getting some backup software like Norton Ghost so you can take an image of a 'clean' installation.

Saves the pain of having to re-register Windows, especially since Microsoft will lock the key out after about 5 goes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weebl said:
Change the boot device order in the BIOS to boot from CD before HD.

Put the windows XP CD in.

Boot the computer.

Follow the on screen prompts for a new install (delete the partitions and redo them)
Me and me mate are complete novices how do we do that how do i get into the BIOS

thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Depends on the make of the machine, but it normally says on the power-on screen.
Something like:

F2 for Menu
or
Press DEL to enter setup

Then it's usually in the basic settings menu.

·
Registered
24,450 Posts
okay you clever people.

I have ME edition main pc but have two lappies xp. I have a dos programme for my window pricing structure and can't save it to install on xp is there a way round it.

Ta very much.

Oh and Its worth a £10 to someone who can help me. :D

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Makes said:
okay you clever people.

I have ME edition main pc but have two lappies xp. I have a dos programme for my window pricing structure and can't save it to install on xp is there a way round it.

Ta very much.

Oh and Its worth a £10 to someone who can help me. :D
It won't work properly if at all on an XP machine as XP does not 'do' DOS.

Be much better to write it again in Excel or similar.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Does he have the factory restore on discs, or is it on a partition in the HD?

If he has discs, then putting them in any time the PC is on and then restarting it brings up the restore when i do it on mine, but if its a partition then he needs to enter the setup and boot it from there iirc.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
What's the benefit of doing a full reinstall? My 4yr old DELL has started to behave erratically recently, and a friend who works in IT suggested that's what I should do, but the thought of having to reinstall everything puts me off. While I'm on the subject, how do you quieten the PC down. The fans are on flat out all the time. I've opened the PC up, cleaned them, hoovered inside (not with a Dyson, mind) and it still sounds like it's about to take off into orbit.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Weebl said:
Restore is different to a re-install.

He asked how to 'wipe' the HD.

A full re-install is always better than a restore.
Most factory restore CD's have the option to 'wipe' the HD, (sorry, delete the MBR and pretend that all your data has gone) then install a fresh copy of the OS, just like when you first bought it.

To the OP:
If you are a novice at this and cannot use google, please take the PC to a computer shop where they will charge you though the nose, but at least you will get it done.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Beefy said:
Most factory restore CD's have the option to 'wipe' the HD, (sorry, delete the MBR and pretend that all your data has gone) then install a fresh copy of the OS, just like when you first bought it.
my "factory restore" discs wipe EVERYTHING as if it had just come from the factory. this is what i meant, rather than the weak "system restore" :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Technically, yes you can, but Microsoft would probably be a bit upset. Providing your own code hasn't been used more than 5 times, that is.

Then get that full system backup done to CD/DVD so you don't have to go through registering again.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
if you really want to wipe the hard drive clean quickly because the police are raiding your house due to pedo reasons or something, just put a strong magnet on top, everything gone in seconds :D Not that i've practiced this :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.