Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right.... Evo1. and up to 3 i guess.

I have 3 in exhaust, and air filter, that is all for perf mods.

defi boost guage, so should be acurate.

I know the BOV leaks at 10 psi, so i turned it round and sure enough i got 14.7 psi (1bar) for about 3 gears then it was back to 10 psi.

OK so i bought a group A BOV to atmosphere rated at 2 bar, still 10 psi! maybe 11!

Used bleed valve to restrict pressure weeeeeee...... 14.7 psi... for about 20 sec, then 10 psi....

What the bloody hell is controlling this!!???!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

All comments please...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It sounds like your wastegate may be slow to open, the actuator can rust and give symptoms like you describe. After checking that I'd go over all hoses with a fine tooth comb.

You'll never get the same boost at high revs that you do lower down; the ecu (acting via the boost solenoid) tails boost off to avoid fuelling problems towards the redline but boost should be pretty consistent irrespective of gear. You've figured out the factory dump valve is leaking, not uncommon, but with it reversed you should still get the same boost in each gear. VTA valves are not really suited to the Mitsubishi turbo setup, the usual problems reported are stalling when coming to a halt and unpredictable boost control. The only VTA valve that seems to do the job is the HKS super sequential due I think, to it's 2 stage pressure release.

I think you've already run into the downsides of the VTA valve you have and from hearing other's experiences over the years, you'll have a job getting rid of all the side effects of fitting it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WEll seeing as i dont have a boost control solonoid, I dont think it is that!, but hey I could be wrong....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Errr, unless you've removed it and replaced it's functionality with some other device - you do! It's located under the battery and is pulsed by the ECU to open the wastegate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OOOHHHH i was a bit concerned that i didn have on..... cool... ill look later.... sorry....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just fitted a Blitz SSBC (electronic boost controller ) to my EVO III, and I have it set at 17 psi.
It only varies 1/2 psi up to redline according to to dyno gragh . Forget about bleeders . I got one on my VR4 and from initial spike to redline , it drops at least 3 psi . The Blitz SSBC is probably at the lower end of the price scale for EBCs. I'm very impressed with it. It has adjustable hi/lo settings in cabin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an Evo 1.

I am wondering if someone could take a photo of this boost control solinoid under the battery, cos it dont look as I have got one either.

Could someone tell me if there is anything between the steel section of turbo pipe and the actuator, as I have 2 vacum hoses joined together, is there something missing....?
Only .5 bar of boost, could this be the problem...?

Also, there is a plastic box inside the Drivers side wheel arch which has a 'T' Piece from the Boost pipe, the box contains nothing... What is the box, can it be removed by blocking off the 'T' piece at boost pipe.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LLL,
If you look at the turbo then you should see a piece of tubing coming from the turbo and heading towards the wastegate. There should be a T-piece in this line that heads off to the boost control solenoid.

From the sounds of what you're describing, you have the T-piece but this heads off to a box under the drivers side wheel arch. Is this correct?
If it is then it appears that this would have been part of a boost controller that would have replaced the boost control solenoid and so your solenoid may well have been removed.
It would also explain why you can only get 0.5 bar boost because no air is being bled from the line to the wastegate actuator and so the ECU cannot control the boost in any way and the wastegate is seeing the full boost pressure and opening very early and not allowing you to develop the boost.

What you need to do is see if the existing boost control solenoid is still in your car and remove the line to the box and re-route it to the solenoid. If the solenoid has been removed then you should try and find a replacement and fit that.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have a look at my Evo 1 tonihgt when I get home, but do you mean the pipe coming off the intercooler ? As that is tee'd off into a large plastic box that is acceable either by removing the bumper or taking off the splash guards inside the drivers side wheel arch. I'm told it is a resonator box - but bugger knows what that is -I'm no turbo techie.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, the pipe off the actuator goes under the battery and attaches to a small blackbox about 3cm high by 1.5cm wide. It looks like a second tube comes out below where the first one goes in (but difficult to see due to the other gubbins). I'd guess this is the solenoid that controls the boost.
If you need to know more, let me know. If I remove the battery and the plate the battery sits on I will be able to see much more.
No digital camera, or I'd have done you a picture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tony thanks for the help you are giving me, here goes with somemore...

We have a small rubber tube which is 't' off a steel pipe from the Intercooler, goes to directly to the wastegate actuator, there is nothing in between, except jubille clips, joining the pipes together. Is there something missing.... If so, what are they, and what do they do...? If this does not make any sense to you I will take a photo and show possbily whats not there...!!

Thanks again,

Marcia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry btw, the box you mention (accessible from the Driver side spalsh guard or by taking off the bumper) is the box I was describing. We have taken off the box and contains nothing at all. Someone (previously owner) drilled a hole into this box to secure the splash guard, we have now fixed the hole/boost leak, could we remove the box or does it have a purpose.

Thanks,

Marcia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've heard of people removing tha tbox altogether (mainly from the Ausie GSR owners), not sure of its original purpose however.
I'll have a look for this other pipe but it won't be until tomorrow night when I'm home from work as the car is outside at the moment instead of in the garage. And I can;t get it in the garage to look with the lamp as the MG is in several pieces and taking up the spare room.
Watch this space....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adam, sorry for not replying but, I do NOT have time to keep sending and replying to messages all day unlike you.

I am waiting for what Tony C finds by the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dear oh dear Marcia or have I taken too much of your precious time already. Is this the same said time that you have to dig out my personal e-mail address, send me an e-mail asking about my car and mods and whether or not I would be in Wales sometime so as we could compare our cars together?!?!?!?!!! It's called common courtesy and good manners to reply especially when YOU sent it in the first place!! Whilst we are on the subject YOU have NO idea what I do in the course of a day and spending it on here couldn't be further from the truth. Sorry for butting in Tony. Honestly, some people

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The box can be removed without any ill effects. They tend to crack anyway, causing boost leaks.

I installed a boost controller in my car, but as I remember it, a small rubber hose runs from the intercooler pipe (between intercooler an throttle body) into a tee. One end of the tee goes to the actuator, the other goes into the inlet port of the solenoid under the battery. The outlet port of the solenoid connects back to the intake before the turbo.

I have never done it, but apparently if you remove the solenoid (unplug it from the electrical connector) it throws a check engine light. I just left mine in but plugged the ports to keep out dirt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Referees here now so watch out :)

Ok, I've checked the car and the pipes you describe should go into a solenoid under the battery.
I have just been talking to the guy who posted this original question and I've found out that he had no solenoid either and that it was missing. There should be one. I've now got a diagram of the turbo 'flow' from him and the solenoid to control the wastegate should be tee'd in.
Thanks to Martin (who knows more about turbos then me) I've found out that if these two pipes are connected (like yours are Marcia) then the wastegate just opens based on the boost presure with no control from the Ecu. This is what limits the total boost. (hopefully I've described this properly)
So you need to find one.
Now if someone can tell me if the 1.8 turbo uses the same solenoid then I may know of one for sale from a car that is being broken.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right, ok ,firstly Adam I am sorry for maybe biting your head off earlier, ok, Secondly, I think I may of deleted the e-mail you sent me, so for the record, I will (tomorrow) reply to you.

Tony, thanks for the info, I am so fed up with this fuel cut type of problem now, and do you know what else could be causing it...? COs sooner I get it sorted, the sooner (I think) I will be selling the car...!

Thanks again

Marcia

p.s. Adam is my apology accepted or not....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts