Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Ever since we fitted a clutch to my evo 4 it makes a horrid and strange noise when you let off the throttle and are slowing down!!
Its hard to describe and pin point to where its coming from....though i believe its from the middle of the car, its not really a whiney noise, more of graunchy rattley noise lol and sometimes it wont do it and then some times its really bad!!

Any ideas please chaps??

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What clutch have you got? I have got a twin plate in mine and its really noisy on over run!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Sounds to me like faulty/over compressed springs compressing in the clutch cover and rattling. I have had this in 3 FTO's and 2 S2000's. New cover sorted it immediately.

Could be wrong as it may be different to EVO's, but it sounds exactly as i have previously experienced.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What clutch have you got? I have got a twin plate in mine and its really noisy on over run!
It has an Exedy organic single plate thats all, but yeah you would think that i have twin plate, thats how it sounds!!
cheers

Sounds to me like faulty/over compressed springs compressing in the clutch cover and rattling. I have had this in 3 FTO's and 2 S2000's. New cover sorted it immediately.

Could be wrong as it may be different to EVO's, but it sounds exactly as i have previously experienced.

Hope this helps
Hmm maybe, never had a problem like it before after fitting a clutch and its a new cover aswell:wallbang:

I did have to have the flywheel skimmed a bit, before new clutch went in....would this cause the noise??

Cheers

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm have thought this but cant really pin point it though i would say it was more front than back, what could go wrong on the front to cause the noise?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. When you accelerate up to say 70 then let off at around 60 it makes a rattling/vibrating type noise even worse if you dropped it into a lower gear around the same speed 50/60mph. i thought it was the heatshield on my exhaust but it isnt. sounds like thin sheet metal vibrating.

I'm running an exedy paddle clutch and fidnaza flywheel.

Kelman

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm positive its the clutch now, dipped the clutch when the noise started and it went away, let it out and back it came.

I've been on a course this week and have been stuck in traffic alot. the clutch isnt exactly traffic friendly it shudders like mad when you do heaps of stop starts from stand still. i think this is what has made the noise appear.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
i thought it was the heatshield on my exhaust but it isnt. sounds like thin sheet metal vibrating.

I'm running an exedy paddle clutch and fidnaza flywheel.

Kelman
turbo heat shield chap?? just a thought.....

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
mine started doing this when I fitted a twin plate.

also did it on an old scoob of mine when I fitted a paddle clutch and lightened fly.

??????

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
checked that too, everything seems to be tight and secure. other than the annoying noise the car runs fine.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
baffle in exhaust or cat matrix breaking down maybe?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
baffle in exhaust or cat matrix breaking down maybe?
Could be, the exhuast does have a very slight rattle when idling but it only has a back box, and the noise is defo coming from the front. I will investigate when i get some time off.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
has the new clutch got sprung centre plate this seems to make a difference with this noise, ive had it after fitting a few uprated clutches

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it has sprug plate Alan and mine also goes away when you dip the clutch....though with my i only here when driving relatively slowly like driving between speed bumps etc!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts