Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was about to go out for a spin in my Evo 5 this evening. Got a call on the phone from my father, who had just gone for a spin in HIS (nigh brand new) Evo 7... except his spin was literal.

Though it could have been worse, car is in bad shape. Bonnet and front wing badly dented, front bumper/airdam also smashed up. Radiator definitely needs to be replaced, and I'm not sure about the intercooler yet. Motor sounds awful-- very rough, and lots of black smoke from the exhaust to me suggests something gone wrong with the turbine plumbing, or an intake leak. (does that make sense?) Shunt wasn't bad enough to cause any major structural damage hopefully, though the front crossmember is badly buckled. If it's any consolation, the suspension geometry looks to have been spared.

On the bright side-- and keeping things in perspective-- nobody was hurt in the accident, and the car is surely serviceable. Not to mention it wasn't my beloved 5. I will have to insist that my father take a performance driving clinic after this however, to help prevent such incidents.

It's not my car, but it's still an Evo (and my Father's at that,) and less than two months old, so I'm totally gutted! If someone has any kind words to cheer me up, I'd be grateful :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to hear it :(

Never a good thing crashes.My sisters boss, a consultant, was tragically killed yesterday tavelling to another hospital.Not too sure on the exact details, but it seems a van coming other way, overtaking a car, didnt pullin fast enough, and clipped said consultant, which caused him to crash into the ditch at the side of the road.Dead, with pregnant wife and two kids already.......could have been alot worse then just a smashed up 7!

Look on the bright side.
Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very sorry to hear these things but have a think about this...

I'm 32 and my dad is 51. He has no interest in cars whatsoever and to be honest I always get a bit jealous when people say things like my dad has got an Evo or My dad just raced me in his Scooby P1 etc etc

I always think of my dad as old and boring and kinda resent the fact that some of you guys have youthful dad's that are into the same things as yourself. I would love to have an enthusiastic chat with my dad about the latest cars or mods or whatever where as all he wants to talk about is the rising price of slippers.

So anyway I hope your dad gets his car sorted out very soon and you can get out there and have some fun together. Just remember you are very lucky to have a dad like yours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hesperus,

Hey man, sorry to hear about your Dad's EVO. Don't know what to say, except to cheer up that at least he is ok. That's the important thing. Where did it happen? Hope you find a good shop to do the repairs for you.

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So tragic to hear about crashes and such like ,Richw painfull fella although its via the missus.
Death comes to us all eventually. How ever we partake in life and take our just rewards.I believe that if you go enjoying what you do and what you are then al is well.

Talking about death the only person that would destroy my life would be the passing of my son who I adore and would give my life for . god forbid it will be when I am not here to see it.
Sorry for crusading here but KIds before Evo.
If I have a close escape and live to tell the tail so to speak .do it again but with finesse and skill.
I will come back as some thing else so I don't worry that much about passing over .But the way to go is with a :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this sort of thing always puts things in perspective. As some have (so rightfully) pointed out, the most important thing here is that my Dad is fine, and nobody was injured in the slightest. Last Christmas, an acquaintance of mine (okay, so I met him once) lost control while caning his M5 down a narrow stretch of road in a densely populated residential area. The car was a complete write-off, but the real tragedy was that two innocent bystanders lost their lives in the process. The driver, at 25 yrs of age has a history of irresponsible, reckless driving and I believe is now facing charges tantamout to inadvertent homicide or something like that.

Like Shorty, I am not one to proselytize, but good to keep one's feet on the ground and remember that our passion for fast motoring can all too easily turn deadly, not just to ourselves but to others. So I'm still gutted that the car is somewhat wrecked, but in the grand scheme of things, its really nothing more than some twisted alloy and bits of broken plastic. It will get fixed. :)

Brings to mind the old line from the start of every episode of Hill Street Blues -- Let's be careful out there

Cheers!

P.S. Brown Paper Bag-- I'm 32 and my Father is 61. :D Every passion I have for cars I inherited from him, so yes I am very lucky.

TurboAWD-- er, I'm surely dropping by your shop in the next week or so. I'll tell you all about it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you post pics of the car so people on here can see what's wrong with it?

It is much worse to have a Dad who drives a BMW than one who crashes an Evo!!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like everyone has said, at least your dad is ok, that's the main thing. Hope things aren't too bad with the car, with any look its just mainly cosmetics, keep us posted

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very sorry to hear about the car, glad to hear no one was hurt and your dad is fine.

Charge to experience, I guess? A spin now may well prevent a spin later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hesperus, I almost feel like going out and making babies right now just so that I can be a car loving father to em!

Knowing my luck though they would probably turn out to be Audi TT loving ponces! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I took pics of the car over the weekend, and have posted them on the 'net.

Check out: http://www.pbase.com/jcolayco/ouch

As you can see, the radiator and intercooler are history, as is the oil cooler and various air-con components probably. The front cross-member also needs to be replaced. Luckily, the frame/chassis doesn't seem to have been affected, nor the engine supports. So with any luck, nothing that is too difficult to fix.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah it doesn't look that bad, have you had a report from the garage yet telling you what needs fixing?

R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts