Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just got back from a superb day at the Bedford Autodrome and I am happy to report that my brakes have, for the first time ever, survived a track day.

The Dragon disc/bell and mintex pads did an absolutely fantastic job today and did me proud, lap after lap after lap.

Ace stuff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Blow Dog, could you send me ALL the info on your brake set up. I've been waiting for someone to get it right after all the different systems everybody has tried. You must be well pleased!!! [email protected] Very many thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure the dragon discs with the special brake pads work very well and have a good price compared to their good quality,but if you just look for more braking power and almost unwarpable discs you can always go for the ap racing 6pot brake kit. Usually it has 330 discs but you can have it with a different 6 pot caliper that will be able to get a 362 disc if you have 18 inches wheels fitted.

They cost about 15000£ for the 330 and 1900£ for the 362.
It is not cheap but it's almost the best you can get without going for 8 pot liquid cooled calipers that are really much more expensive and need the replacement of many other parts as hubs etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am writing an article on fitting the new Dragon disc kit for the MLR magazine (including lots of piccies http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >)
Actually I better get on and finish it and send it to Alan to make sure I haven't missed anything out. I think it is a bit too long really for the magazine but I will see how it goes.
If you want to see it you better join the MLR [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Cem,
Do your pads still squeal?
My Mintex are as quiet as a church mouse now [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > Once they are bedded in and you put some heat into them it sorts them out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heave Ho Six, Nothing can be too long if it solves this MAJOR problem with so many Evo owners!!! Looking forward to reading it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Just a couple of things to add to what HH6 is saying. I believe that for us (Evo boys) the Dragon disc and bell combo is more than sufficient. I don't think that there is anything wrong with our calipers so I don't really see the need to change them.

Colleagues that shared rides with me and with others who had the AP setup commented on how much more bite my brakes had. I have always stressed how important changing (or at least checking) the hubs are. But I was giving the brakes some checking over today and they seem absolutely perfect!

HH6,
I agree, the squealing has gone completely, albeit apart from very small squeels at luke warm temperatures. But yes, after the curing/bedding process (which MUST be followed exactly) it was perfect.

Victor,

I use Dragon Mk3 disc/bell combo
Braided hoses (forgot the fluid rating)
Mintex pads (forgot the compound, new stuff)
And new hubs.

Hope that helps.

Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cem,thanks very much.Who is the best person @ Dragon to speak to, can they supply everything? Could you give me their phone no/e.mail address.Thanks very much once again. Victor. my e. mail
[email protected]om

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you ask for the kit you will get the following:

The kit:

Dragon Discs and amp; Bells combo
Cut down Mintex F4R pads
Goodridge Braided Brake Line kit (front and rear)

Dragon recommend AP Dot 5.1 fluid (called AP5.1) and thats what I used. 1 litre is suffient for a complete change/bleed with enough left over for top ups when neccessary.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you the exact price as I did a deal with some rear Brembo pads aswell http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > but expect to pay roughly £700 for the kit including P and amp;P and VAT (The discs/bells by themselves are advertised at £449 |PLS| VAT for the pair).
The discs are available separately for owners of the kit for £130 |PLS| VAT each.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can also report superb braking results with the new cut down Mintex pad. squealing has gone away apart from when cold.

I am currently running my original skimmed discs and the new pads have failed to warp them and the braking power keeps on and on!

At the next service I am having my Mk3 discs put back on.

Anybody out there wan't a cheap soloution, standard discs with the new dragon supplied pads are excellent. 2 trackdays and no fade and not a wobble!

The problem all along appears to be with the stock Brembo pads, in my oppinion.

Cem,
Sorry I missed Bedford, had to cancel after my ex changed her plans. How was the track, do you reccomend it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hunty,

Just read your post on running the std skimmed discs with the cut down pads... is this a fix for the warping... my discs appear to be warped so hopefully will be sorted but i want to try to avoid them doing it again...

The cars unlikely to go on track and so get the use and abuse that some of you guys give the brakes.. i just want to avoid the warping again...

Thoughts

Jevo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hunty,

A right bummer mate cos the day was absolutely superb. The track was fantastic, LOADS of areas in case of 'offs' and a real varied track with loooong straights (130MPH) and chicanes, fast sweepers; it had the lot.

There is another day planned for August, I will certainly be going again.

Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very interesting the Dragon kit looks like the brake kit Ralliart Germany uses on their 24h Ring EVO VI racing car. And this since last year. The callipers are unchanged. Hope I have the chance to chat with'em next Saterday at the Hockenheimring to find out where they sourced the stuff from.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have e.mailed Alan Zini and he's informed me that there is a solution coming from Mintex re the squeal on their pads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Victor,
Intially the Mintex pads did squeal under lowish loads i.e. at less than 10mph when coming to a stop. However once completing the bedding in process as directed by Alan and then putting some heat into them to 'cure' them the squeal has disappeared completely. I know Alan said to me when I got the kit that Mintex were working on some anti squeal shims but he thought they would be a long time coming. It looks like I don't need them anyway http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Of cause this may not be the case for everyone.

By the way just fitting the cut-down pads on OE discs is not the whole answer for curing the warping. The dust shield needs to be removed to aid proper cooling and the hubs need to be checked for run out before even considering this route. Remember the OE discs are also of one piece design which means they are more easily warped than the 2 piece disc/bell design. The more I use the Dragon brake setup the more I like it [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.