Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well with my long 18 year history of evo's and the early years spent frustrated at overheating the front brakes I bit the bullet in 2001 and bought some ralliart brake ducts.
These were fabulous and I moved them from car to car but stupidly sold them a few years ago when I sold the evo (as I found out NR autosport were making them).
Then while I had no Evo I couldn't believe when NR shut up shop !! :cry::cry:

Fast forward to this year and another evo so desperately wanted a set so decided to make my own.
Found the correct sized angle brackets at Wickes (to fit in the same place at the bottom of the drop link bracket) and looked all over for a curved / strong item to suit and finally settled on a baking tray from Wilko !! :D

After some cutting / drilling / bolting I finally got them sorted.

Now you may laugh but these do the job superb and cost me very little :mhihi:

So here's some photos of the Ralliart / NR items, then some of mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Frankly I am loving this kind of DIY stuff, my respect!
Please let us know how did your home baked (;) ) brake ducts fare on tracks.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frankly I am loving this kind of DIY stuff, my respect!
Please let us know how did your home baked (;) ) brake ducts fare on tracks.
As soon as they were finished I took the car on a hard B road blast for over an hour and had no issues

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
As soon as they were finished I took the car on a hard B road blast for over an hour and had no issues
I understand by you writing you had no issues means that it all worked well, no rattles squeaks etc and no problems with brake temps. Did you have overheating problems on the same route before you installed the cooling ?

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didnt do any comparisons as have 18 years of experience of evo brakes. Well aware that without these on with the stick i gave ghe car that day they certainly worked

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The shape of the baking tray, even cut in half provides a significant increase in structural stability of the shape as compared to the same flimsy thickness of metal if used flat. The bracket used is normally employed in structural framing of buildings and is rather thick.
To me it looks rather solid :)

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah believe me they don't need beefing up the brackets are really solid metal and the pan is also held rigid due to its shape.
Just got to be careful to check the tyre doesn't catch on full lock after you fit them - mine did so i just trimmed it with tin snips to save taking it all back off

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anyone fancy posting some rough dimensions up for the brackets etc. Going to make some of these in work. Get the sheeties to do some work

·
Registered
30,780 Posts
thats a awesome mod geoff i bet your good lady's doing her nut in looking for the roasting tray :lol:

Reactions: RSgeoff

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone fancy posting some rough dimensions up for the brackets etc. Going to make some of these in work. Get the sheeties to do some work
I'll sort this and put it up tonight.

Ive also found a better pan.

Might consider making a batch of these if the demand was there? Would be about £65 inc post & packing.

Pm me if interested

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I'll sort this and put it up tonight.

Ive also found a better pan.

Might consider making a batch of these if the demand was there? Would be about £65 inc post & packing.

Pm me if interested
I'd be possibly interested but £65 seams abit steep, but make some up and upload some more pics etc 👍🏻

·
Twincharger Guru
4,546 Posts
If you extend the OE ducts you'll not suffer from the massive extra drag and the risk of creating front end lift by filling the wheelarches with even more air at high speed :smthumbup

Good to see some different thinking which I applaud, but this will have more negatves than positives when the same can be achieved by utilising the OE ducts properly ;)

Just my tuppenceworth :D

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Silly question perhaps, but I do not think X FQ330 has any brake cooling ducts so what OE cooling ducts are you talking about?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts